5813 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to upgrade SuSE 7.0 to Kernel 2.4.7 and glibc 2.2.2-55

Pham Quoc Trung
Advisor

How to upgrade SuSE 7.0 to Kernel 2.4.7 and glibc 2.2.2-55

Hi,

I've installed SuSE7.0 (Kernel 2.2.16) on the HP Netserver E45.

How can I upgrade SuSE 7.0 to Kernel 2.4.7 and glibc 2.2.2-55, which is required by Oracle 9iAS 9.0.2 ? I don't want to install SuSE 7.x (x=1,or 2.etc) to get the the above kernel.

Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
Michael Armbrecht
Frequent Advisor

The easiest way is to install or upgrade to a version of SuSE that has the matching kernel and glibc version. If you don't want to do that, you will have to download the glibc and kernel sources and compile them yourself. Messy business...
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.
Yu Wang_1

I would suggest you go to www.kernel.org and get the kernel 2.4.20 (latest stable) source and follow the instructions included to compile and install the new kernel. The typical things are make xconfig, make dep, make modules, make modules_install, make bzImage. and then copy the bzImage and System.map to your boot directory and update your boot config file to include the new kernel as well as keep the current kernel there in case you cannot boot to the new kernel you still can boot to the old kernel to recompile the new kernel. The most tricky part is the make xconfig (someone prefers to use make menuconfig or even make config but make xconfig gives GUI interface). You need to select right CPU type, right Network device, File system, etc.
Here is HOWTO:
http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/Kernel-HOWTO.html

For glibc, you can go to http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/gnu/glibc/ to get the source code then compile and install it (should be ./configure, make, make install routine).

If you want to install kernel 2.4.7, don't forget to install patch for that kernel as well.