108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Hp Dl380 G4 Smartarray 6i, Dat72

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bruno_48
Advisor

Hp Dl380 G4 Smartarray 6i, Dat72

I'am installing a HP DL380 in RAID 1 with Dat72 linkek into a backplane in smartarray 6i with a duplex configuration and i had installed linux 2.1 enterprise Advanced Server when i'am trying to acess to /dev/st0 he can't find such scsi dive attached, i tryed to install the latest hp support paq for linux 2.1 E. AS but didn't works i have edited /etc/rc.local

for x in /proc/driver/cciss/cciss[0-9]*
do
echo "engage scsi" > $x
done

but that doesn't work's to.

22 REPLIES 22
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor
Solution

So you've got the hot-plug drive, plugged into the front with the other disks, yes?

When the system booted up, did you see the tape drive listed when the Array controller BIOS went through post?

Also, take a look at both '/proc/scsi/scsi' and '/var/log/dmesg' to see if there's any mention of a tape there.

What kernel are you running on the AS2.1 kernel now? The latest eratta, or the one that came with the distribution?
One long-haired git at your service...
Gopi Sekar
Honored Contributor

have you kept the tape drive powered on when you rebooted the system. (first have you rebooted the system)

also check dmesg output and check is there any entry for st0 or nst0

Regards,
Gopi
Never Never Never Giveup
Ian Meyer_2
Occasional Advisor

I may not be understanding this correctly.. but
are you having a problem with the 6i controller? If so, then you may want to make sure the driver has support.. from what I can remember the cciss.o kernel module in AS 2.1 does not have support for it. You can verify this by doing

user@host $ strings /lib/modules/2.6.10-1.770_FC3/kernel/drivers/block/cciss.ko | grep 6i

If you see "Smart Array 6i" then it has support, otherwise you are out of luck and will have to install a driver for it (or update the kernel to a version that does support the 6i controller)

If the 6i controller is not the case, then I have nothing more to offer. :)
Bruno_48
Advisor

i've got the hot-plug drive, plugged into the front with the other disks

When the system booted up, the tape drive is listed in the Array controller BIOS went through post.
Also, take a look at both '/proc/scsi/scsi' and '/var/log/dmesg' there's no mention of a tape there.

The kernel version is 2.4.9-e.3
Bruno_48
Advisor

i have ran strings: /lib/modules/2.6.10-1.770_FC3/kernel/drivers/block/cciss.ko: No such fi
le or directory
and theres the result
Gopi Sekar
Honored Contributor

what the person gave was just an example. you should modify it to suite your need.

to suite your need, try this method:

strings /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/block/cciss.o |less

it will present you with char messages found in that file, in that look for 'Smart Array 6i' if found then it means your system supports that controller otherwise you may have to upgrade your kernel which supports it.

which update of RH 2.1 you are running?

Regards,
Gopi
Never Never Never Giveup
Bruno_48
Advisor

[root@xpty root] strings /lib/modules/2.4.9-e.3enterprise/kernel/drivers/block/cciss.o |grep 6i
theres the result
device=HP SA5i SA5i+ SA532 SA5300 SA5312 SA641 SA642 SA6400 SA6i SA6422 V100 P600
Smart Array 6i
Gopi Sekar
Honored Contributor

it looks like your kernel supports the 6i driver. so you should not be having any problem in accessing it.

but strange that you are saying dmesg output does not show up any st0 information.

try running kudzu and see whether it can find the hardware.

Regards,
Gopi
Never Never Never Giveup
Bruno_48
Advisor

kudzu do nothing.
theres a part of dmesg:
cciss0: No device changes detected.
scsi0 : cciss0
Vendor: HP Model: C7438A Rev: V312
Type: Sequential-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 03
cciss0: SCSI subsystem already engaged.
cciss0: No device changes detected.
Linux Kernel Card Services 3.1.22
options: [pci] [cardbus] [pm]
Databook TCIC-2 PCMCIA probe: not found.
ds: no socket drivers loaded!
iSCSI version 2.0.1.8 ( 8-Aug-2001)
iSCSI control device major number 254
iSCSI: detected HBA f6224424, host #1
scsi1 : iSCSI (2.0.1.8)