1748165 Members
4197 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Hp Pavilion dv4000 & GNU/Linux

Jorge Ayala

Hp Pavilion dv4000 & GNU/Linux

I have buy my new notebook pavilion
I work with linux, and i wan't to install this OS into mi notebook, and have two OS (WindowsXP and linux)

What's the best choice ??
Suse, Fedora, Mandrivia, etc, etc ¿¿?¿?
Is there a special versión for mi notebook ???

thankz!!

Jorge Ayala
17 REPLIES 17
Gopi Sekar
Honored Contributor

Re: Hp Pavilion dv4000 & GNU/Linux

Distributions are inidividual choice, if you ask me then I would recommend fedora core 4 somebody else might say SUSE, it's all individual choice.

For linux to co-exist with windows you need to have free partition. if none exists, you may have to resize your windows XP to give some free space for linux.

Hope this helps,
Gopi
Never Never Never Giveup
Jorge Ayala

I decide to install Suse 9.3
No problem in the process of installation.

*Startup whith linux
Appears a strange vertical lines of many colors, then changes to a black screen.

Any sugestion ¿?
Gopi Sekar
Honored Contributor

looks to be X windows (GUI) is not configured properly in your system.

Try booting in to run level 3, press a key during boot loader menu (where it lists linux, floppy, failsafe). on moving the cursor to linux you will see a list of options in the bottom of the screen go to end of the list and add '3', then press enter to boot. this will boot in to text only (no GUI will come), see whether you are getting in to linux login prompt. if so then we can conclude the problem is with Xwindows configuration and start debugging that.

Hope this helps,
Gopi
Never Never Never Giveup
George_235

Same problem here.

I have entered with runlevel 3 but i cannot enter Sax2 and dont know any other.

When i pluged an external monitor it worked ok (runlevel 5)but SuSe said that cannot recognise the monitor (the TFT of Pavilion).
Garrett_6

I have a dv4000 and it's dual booting XP and Fedora.

I had problems setting up the display as well. What finally worked for me was the set the monitor to "HP A7217A Wide-Aspect" and the driver to "VESA driver (generic)".

bc_5

Garrett--

I've been struggling with the X-windows and dv4000 problem as well with SUSE 10.0. None of the fail-safe installation methods work and it appears to be a problem with the configuration for X-windows. I can't get to my machine now to try your suggestion but was wondering whether you had to do anything to let the system know about the display monitor: HP A7217A Wide-Aspect. Can you post your configuration file? Thanks.

bc
tyoung

Granted you already tried Suse, but I used Ubuntu and it installed in about 15min with no hitches. It recognized the wireless, video, audio, etc. Easiest linux install I've tried yet. If you haven't already solved your video problem, you might give it a go.

Things which did *not* work: The silver audio control buttons at the top of the keyboard do nothing, and the light for the wireless enable/disable button does not come on (but the button does work). Other than that, its just the usual stuff Ubuntu needs added (DVD decoding, some audio codecs, hibernate support, etc.) which you can add or not depending on the legality in your location.

Tom
It's not what you earn at a job that's important, its what you become by doing it.
dsubasa

I currently run Suse OSS 10.0 on my HP Dv4170US and it workes great, first try.
Monitor is recognized as LPL LGPHILIPSLCD MONITOR, and runs beautifully in 1280x800. I have also successfully installed Ubuntu without any problems, noting the same issues as a previous poster had.

The only things that (I know of) dont work out of the box is the indicator light for the WiFi, the silver buttons above the keyboard (volume controls), the remote control, and the TI Media Card reader. I did find workaround for the silver buttons and the remote control by creating keyboard shortcuts in the Gnome Control Center, although the volume controls dont work at all when I plugin speakers or headphones - looks like there are seperate volume controls for the speakers and the headphoe jack. Im new to Linux, so I am still trying to figure out how to fix that. Im not worried about the light for the wifi because its just a light and the wifi works great.

My beef is with the media card reader. I will be a very happy man when I can use that. An LSPCI lookup brought this knowledge to me:

06:06.3 Unknown mass storage controller: Texas Instruments PCIxx21 Integrated Fl ashMedia Controller
06:06.4 Class 0805: Texas Instruments PCI6411, PCI6421, PCI6611, PCI6621, PCI741 1, PCI7421, PCI7611, PCI7621 Secure Digital (SD) Controller

Someone is working on a driver for this, but it is still in its infancy. It is rumored that TI has the driver but wont release it. Maybe HP can hook us up, since they are now trying to make a very big push into the Linux market.
mm926222

--Garrett

You said you installed dual XP and Fedora. That is exactly what I want to do. I am wondering if there are any special drivers, and anything I should be aware of before I launch into it.

If you have any useful links, can you please also post them.

Thank you very much.