108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Hp updating problem

SOLVED
Go to solution
M. Sloan
Occasional Contributor

Hp updating problem

Hp wanted to install updates on my computer so as I went to reboot it ask if it could install updates so I allowed it to install them. It took about 15 minutes and then it rebooted and came up with an error that the computer could not boot up and that it would try to fix the problem. It must have fixed it because it finally rebooted. This morning I go to use the computer, its still on, and nothing will startup such as browsers. So I decided to reboot it but it comes up with an error message. I don't remember what it said so I turn it off using the button and it came back up fine when I turned it on. MY question is: is HP putting out bad updates?? Should I always tell it no do not update? Its working fine today. I have Windows Vista and a new HP Pavilion A6323W. Also while I am asking sometimes HP pops up a small light blue box that asks if I want to install updates. It seems to not fully open as there is no way to respond to that question and no way to get rid of the blue box until I reboot. Anyone heard of this? Thanks!
3 REPLIES 3
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Hp updating problem

The first part of your question sounds like the system didn't shutdown properly to install an update. This happens occationally where the Computer is waiting for another program or service to stop before it can do something else, and the service doesn't stop properly. So the Computer is left with most of its programs and services shutdown, but it can't/didn't reboot.

When you pushed the power button, the system attempted to finish the install as it started back up and was finally able to finish. No, HP isn't putting out bad updates. :-) You may never see this problem again. But.. If you do, you may want to go into "My Computer", Right-Click on your C: drive, select "Properties", click on the Tools Tab, click on Check Now, select "Automatically Fix File System Errors", then Start. The check will take place the next time you reboot the system.

As to the last question (HP's pop-up box)... I haven't seen that. You may need to reinstall HP Update: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=2093&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3644696тМй=en

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
John B. Nuttall
Occasional Advisor

You should use windows update and install latest updates for vista. There have been alot of problems with vista and MS has issued service packs to fix problems.

Hope this helps
M. Sloan
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the information! I appreciate both of you for responding. Gave you both 10 points.