Operating System - Linux
1748069 Members
5574 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: I can t install linux red hat 8.0 on my presario 920 laptop

Brabant Matthieu

I can t install linux red hat 8.0 on my presario 920 laptop

Just after choosing which intallation i want to do. it checks the different part of the computer and when it checks the partition , that create an interrupt irq7 and i can t go further.

The exact message is
Partition check :
hda: spurious 8259A interrupt : IRQ7.

is there a solution
8 REPLIES 8
Bruce Copeland
Trusted Contributor

I seem to recall that the solution is to use the nodma boot parameter at the start of installation. Unfortunately I can't remember where I ran across this. If that doesn't work, you might also try turning off some of the hardware checking with the nomce parameter.

Bruce
Bruce Copeland
Trusted Contributor

Oops, that first suggested boot parameter should be ide=nodma. Sorry!

Bruce
Brabant Matthieu

Thanks, it s working. Now i can go a little bit further but the installation program does not detect my cdrom anymore. So i cannot continue. i try to put hdc=cdrombut it s still not working.
I hope you will find a solution this time again
Thanks in advance
Matthieu
Kjartan Maraas
Valued Contributor

Please give a little more information on the CD drive. I see my laptop with a CD/RW drive is using ide=ide-scsi, maybe worth a try?
Bruce Copeland
Trusted Contributor

Hmmm, that's no fun. It sounds like you're running up against a general problem found on several different Compaq notebooks. It is commonly believed to involve the ALI M5229 chipset and to be specific to Red Hat. (I'm not sure anyone has really evaluated the legitimacy of those 2 beliefs.) Severity of the problem varies. Some people can fix it with one of the boot parameters I suggested; others find nothing works. A few people seem to be able to skirt the problems by doing a network installation. You might try using some combination of the boot parameters nousb and/or nopcmcia in addition to either nomce or ide=nodma. That's about the best I can suggest. If you find something that works, by all means let everyone know!

Bruce
John Meissner
Esteemed Contributor

I build my own PC - it's got lot's of goodies in it.... but when I install... or try to install Red Hat 8.0 I get a kernel panic when it tried to start (when booting from the CD) I have a CDRW and DVD player in mine... I've been told that several people I know have also seen this when using a CDRW to boot with. To this day I still havn't been able to get it installed at home. Ugh!!
All paths lead to destiny
Brabant Matthieu

I try all th possible combination and it still does not recognize the cdrom. My cdrom drive is a combo DVD/CDRW. Do you think that i can try with mandrake and not have these problems???
Thanks again for the help
Bruce Copeland
Trusted Contributor

I would be surprised if specifying ide-scsi makes much difference. My HP ze4100 (very similar hardware, including a CD-RW/DVD drive) installed just fine without specifying any boot parameters, although I DO use the boot parameter hdc=ide-scsi now that everything is installed. You could try installing with the boot parameter hdx=ide-scsi as John suggested, where x indicates the location (a, b, c, or d) on your IDE controller.

You might also try Mandrake. That would at least answer the question about whether this is a Red Hat problem!

Bruce