Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
General
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I cannot install linux on compaq evo n1005v, evo n1015v

Jozef Pacay
Occasional Visitor

I cannot install linux on compaq evo n1005v, evo n1015v

while trying to install RH7.2 from cdrom:
- after choosing language and keyboard, system is unable to detect that the cd1 is in the cdrom.
- with disk install it tells there is no disks at all
RH8.0:
-same problem
Mandrake 9, install from cdrom:
- boots,sinals that I should pass some options to kernel like init=,irq=irqbus, and it assumes 33mHz bus.detects normally disk,cdrom. freezes at checking partitions. last line is :
Spurious hda... or something like this.
BUT i was able to install linux with alternative image on floppy "cdrom.img-2.2.19-BADZ5". but it installs the 2.4 kernel on harddisk that i cant boot from.(and 2.2 kernel doesnt support any other filesystem than linux native - it is unable to mount even home dir. (but the ext3 is strangily mounted at "/") ?
It is not only my problem, many people that have Ali m5229 pci bus do not know how to install linux on (same symptoms)
My question can be : was anybody successfull? thanks
:)
8 REPLIES
Chakravarthi
Trusted Contributor

Re: I cannot install linux on compaq evo n1005v, evo n1015v

Carlo F. Sogono
Occasional Visitor

I have successfully installed Debian 3.0r1 and Slackware Linux 8.1 on the Compaq Evo N1015v. However, I haven't had much time to figure out how to make the sound card work. Perhaps when I get some spare time I'll look it up.

You might want to consider trying Debian or Slackware.

Note: When you install Slackware 8.1, make sure you "chmod a-x /etc/rc.d/rc.pcmcia" after compiling a new kernel from source...for some frikkin reason it hangs if that script executes AFTER a new kernel compilation.
Bruce Copeland
Trusted Contributor

Many Linux notebook owners have to use the boot parameter idebus=50. You might also be wise to check to make sure you have the most recent bios for your hardware. You could also look at the link

http://www.bandaancha.st/documentos.php?docid=58

which describes Red Hat 8.0 on a similar model.

Bruce
Patrick Lathrop
Occasional Visitor

I am having the same problem with RH8 install on a Evo N1015v. Windows sucks big time and I would love to get Linux in on this system.

Has anyone solved this problem or should I just trade this thing in and call it quits?

Thanks
Carlo F. Sogono
Occasional Visitor

I have been able to configure Eveything on the N1015v using Linux. Here's my site:

Linux on the Compaq Evo N1015v
http://www.speedlink.com.au/~cmp01/
Markus Koskimies
Occasional Visitor

I found this thread also and the thing remains the same for me. I tried to boot with Carlo's kernel in a floppy, but it didn't decompress itself... :-(
Markus Koskimies
Occasional Visitor

Some success: I copied the Mandrake CDs to FAT32 partition and I was able to install & configure the system by booting with "hd.img-2.2.19-BADZ5" in a floppy.

Now everything (including VESA-X) should be in order in installed partition, but kernels installed by Mandrake are not able to boot with N1015v.

I'm currently trying to get Carlo Sogono's precompiled kernel working. I was not able to boot it with floppy (it complains, that compressed format is invalid).
Markus Koskimies
Occasional Visitor

Problem solved!

I finally successfully installed Mandrake 9.1. Here is what I did:

1. Of course, first reinstalled XP to get partitions OK (10G for Win, 10G for Linux and 20G for common data)
2. I copied Mandrake installation CDs to data partition to directory "Mandrake9.1"
3. I used Mandrake's hd.img-2.2.19-BADZ5 in a floppy to boot the machine. I think this is not necessary, just using "expert noauto" could do the same thing.
4. Giving "expert noauto" helps a lot - Mandrake was installed and booted!

Here's a helpful website: http://www.tommoore.uklinux.net/n1015v.html