1752583 Members
4975 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

I cannot install linux on compaq evo n1005v, evo n1015v

Jozef Pacay

I cannot install linux on compaq evo n1005v, evo n1015v

while trying to install RH7.2 from cdrom:
- after choosing language and keyboard, system is unable to detect that the cd1 is in the cdrom.
- with disk install it tells there is no disks at all
RH8.0:
-same problem
Mandrake 9, install from cdrom:
- boots,sinals that I should pass some options to kernel like init=,irq=irqbus, and it assumes 33mHz bus.detects normally disk,cdrom. freezes at checking partitions. last line is :
Spurious hda... or something like this.
BUT i was able to install linux with alternative image on floppy "cdrom.img-2.2.19-BADZ5". but it installs the 2.4 kernel on harddisk that i cant boot from.(and 2.2 kernel doesnt support any other filesystem than linux native - it is unable to mount even home dir. (but the ext3 is strangily mounted at "/") ?
It is not only my problem, many people that have Ali m5229 pci bus do not know how to install linux on (same symptoms)
My question can be : was anybody successfull? thanks
:)
8 REPLIES 8
Chakravarthi
Trusted Contributor

Re: I cannot install linux on compaq evo n1005v, evo n1015v

Carlo F. Sogono

I have successfully installed Debian 3.0r1 and Slackware Linux 8.1 on the Compaq Evo N1015v. However, I haven't had much time to figure out how to make the sound card work. Perhaps when I get some spare time I'll look it up.

You might want to consider trying Debian or Slackware.

Note: When you install Slackware 8.1, make sure you "chmod a-x /etc/rc.d/rc.pcmcia" after compiling a new kernel from source...for some frikkin reason it hangs if that script executes AFTER a new kernel compilation.
Bruce Copeland
Trusted Contributor

Many Linux notebook owners have to use the boot parameter idebus=50. You might also be wise to check to make sure you have the most recent bios for your hardware. You could also look at the link

http://www.bandaancha.st/documentos.php?docid=58

which describes Red Hat 8.0 on a similar model.

Bruce
Patrick Lathrop

I am having the same problem with RH8 install on a Evo N1015v. Windows sucks big time and I would love to get Linux in on this system.

Has anyone solved this problem or should I just trade this thing in and call it quits?

Thanks
Carlo F. Sogono

I have been able to configure Eveything on the N1015v using Linux. Here's my site:

Linux on the Compaq Evo N1015v
http://www.speedlink.com.au/~cmp01/
Markus Koskimies

I found this thread also and the thing remains the same for me. I tried to boot with Carlo's kernel in a floppy, but it didn't decompress itself... :-(
Markus Koskimies

Some success: I copied the Mandrake CDs to FAT32 partition and I was able to install & configure the system by booting with "hd.img-2.2.19-BADZ5" in a floppy.

Now everything (including VESA-X) should be in order in installed partition, but kernels installed by Mandrake are not able to boot with N1015v.

I'm currently trying to get Carlo Sogono's precompiled kernel working. I was not able to boot it with floppy (it complains, that compressed format is invalid).
Markus Koskimies

Problem solved!

I finally successfully installed Mandrake 9.1. Here is what I did:

1. Of course, first reinstalled XP to get partitions OK (10G for Win, 10G for Linux and 20G for common data)
2. I copied Mandrake installation CDs to data partition to directory "Mandrake9.1"
3. I used Mandrake's hd.img-2.2.19-BADZ5 in a floppy to boot the machine. I think this is not necessary, just using "expert noauto" could do the same thing.
4. Giving "expert noauto" helps a lot - Mandrake was installed and booted!

Here's a helpful website: http://www.tommoore.uklinux.net/n1015v.html