Operating System - Microsoft
1752733 Members
5477 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: I wonder if it is possible to use external keyboard for my OmniBook XE3 laptop computer

Cheng Luo
Advisor

I wonder if it is possible to use external keyboard for my OmniBook XE3 laptop computer

My computer has a problem, has been never completely solved. Three keys in my keyboard disappear, or come back simultaneously. The keyboard was replaced once in UK, but it happened again after replace. It is not a simple dusty problem. I wonder if I can use an external keyboard? And does normal keyboar for desktop computer works form my OmniBook XE3, or is there external keyboard for laptop computer (becasue I dont see a socket for such wire?
Thanks! Cheng
hyva
6 REPLIES 6
Jerome Henry
Honored Contributor

Re: I wonder if it is possible to use external keyboard for my OmniBook XE3 laptop computer

Yes, you can plug a standard desktop computer keyboard, name is PS/2 keyboard.
Look at the backside of your laptop, you'll see the corresponding plug.
ou can plug there a keyboard or a mouse.
Altered keys are an issue on laptops. Same trouble to me, my 'u' is dead, I currently use external keyboard.
It's ercognised under Linux RH7.3, 8.0, 9.0, win 2k server, XP pro (but on this I have to let it plugged, or to have my laptop keyboard recognised again on un-plugging).
Good luck.
J
You can lean only on what resists you...
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

There are also 'Y' adapters for the PS2 port that will allow you to connect both a mouse AND a keyboard.

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
Cheng Luo
Advisor

Yes! It works with a desktop computer's keyboard (PS2). NOw I just need to get a Y-adaptor, then it will be ok.
However, I am still pulsed, how the second keyboard of my laptop computer. which was replace in UK, have exactly the same problem? I just dont understand how it function in the computer designing? Anyway it will be no matter any more. Thank you!
hyva
Cheng Luo
Advisor

Dear Jon Finley,

I bought a Y-adaptor, but it dosent work. actually when I insert the Y-adaptor, then neither works. Without Y-adaptor, desktop keyboard work nicely.

The Y-adaptor I have is a cable type, 0.2M long, one cable labled with P1, another labeled with P2. The label in plastic bag is AK 5345 0.2M.

I dont know why?

Could you kindly help again?

Thank you very much!

Cheng
hyva
Cheng Luo
Advisor

The Y-adaptor: one male, 2 female, it fits all the connections. The seller asked my computer type (HP). You know when I use my normal mouse, or desktop computer keyboard, the samll yellow light is always on in my pad /bewteen pad and space bar). But with this Y-adaptor do not make it on!

It is not right type, or need to change some setting?

Cheng
hyva
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

With most laptops you need to purchase a Y-adapter that supports either the "generic" model (HP Omnibook) or the exact model (XE3).

Most CompUSA stores carry Y-adapters, also most on-line stores (CompUSA, Bestbuy, Outpost, etc.).

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda