1748128 Members
3970 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: I18N support in oracle on HPUX

Siva Prasad
Occasional Advisor

I18N support in oracle on HPUX

I have installed oracle 10g database in Japanese language and JA16EUC character set. All the messages in oracle appear in Japanese language for me. Now i want to create a table space and datafiles in Japanese characters. How do i do it. when i do a "locale -a" on my HPUX machine, i find the JA16EUC character set. How do i type Japanese characters while creating table spaces? If i cut and paste any character set, i am getting junk characters but not japanese.
2 REPLIES 2
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi siva prasad,

have a look at this documentation:
http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/A81042_01/DOC/server.816/a76966/appa.htm#967600

hope this helps!

kind regards
yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Ben Dehner
Trusted Contributor

When you "cut and paste" characters, what are you cutting and pasting them into? If you are running a terminal session (i.e., telnet), the shell needs to be set up to support multi-byte character input, e.g.,

stty cs8 -istrip -parodd

Also, you need to make sure that your Oracle client is using the proper character set. Again, assuming a Unix shell, you need to set NLS_LANG to the appropriate value, in this case

NLS_LANG=JAPANESE_JAPAN.JA16EUC

In an Oracle session, you can change the language and territory dynamically with 'alter session'. However, you cannot change the character set; once the session is established, the character set stays fixed. With the OCI clients such as SQL*Plus, the client character set is determined from the NLS_LANG variable. If this is not set, it will default to US7ASCII. If using a Windows client, the default for the character set is a little more arcane. The client character set does not need to match the database character set; but I think it does need to be at least "compatible", in the sense that they both need to support the same multi-byte language.

Trust me, I know what I'm doing