108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

IBM WebSphere uses 100% CPU

SOLVED
Go to solution
Anil_5
Advisor

IBM WebSphere uses 100% CPU

Did anyone come across a situation wherein the JVM with IBM Websphere utilizes 100% CPU consitently? The system performace is not degraded but 100% CPU is a concern.The process is called PA_RI.

Thanks
Anil
webapp
5 REPLIES 5
Sandip Ghosh
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: IBM WebSphere uses 100% CPU

Anil_5
Advisor

Thanks, Does a kill -s SIGQUIT pid kill a process, or is there anyother way to do a trace on a running process without killing it.

Anil
webapp
rick jones
Honored Contributor

on hp-ux 11 you can use tusc to trace a given processes (or even threads) system calls. ftp to ftp.cup.hp.com under dist/networking/tools/

there, or on the DSPP (devresource.hp.com) you can also find prospect, which could be used to take a CPU usage profile of the process.

drifting, I wonder if there is a way to get IBM webshpere to use the HP JVM...
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows

With WAS 4.0.6 I had cpu load of some 100% and many "java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: max threads limit being reached in VM" messages in stderr. The solution was just to increase the maxprocthreads up to 128.
I hope it helps,
Fernando
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi Anil,

First question needs to be - How many CPUs in this system?
If there are 6 for example, then 100% could be perfectly normal. In this scenario, I would be concerned at >300% or so. My understanding of MQ - I assume you're talking MQ WebSphere - is that it's a resource pig under normal circumstances. So you need to engage your App Admin & Developer teams & have them look at the code if your concerned.
Never underestimate the power of crap-code to bring a perfectly tuned system to it's knees.

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!