108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

IEEE 1284 bi-directional printing

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bill Kimbell
Advisor

IEEE 1284 bi-directional printing

I have a client who needs bi-directional printing (IEEE 1284?) functionality in HP-UX 11.0. I have looked around the forums and the 11.0 manuals but have not found anything that addresses this topic.
Does anyone have info one way or the other?
Thanks.
Bill
5 REPLIES 5
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Re: IEEE 1284 bi-directional printing

Hi Bill,

Quite a few options out there...see:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF8&q=bi-directional+printing+%2BHP-UX&btnG=Google+Search

Most seem to bee for-cost products.
FYI - I searched Google with bidirectional printing +HP-UX

HTH,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Bill Kimbell
Advisor

Hi,
I don't think that I was accurate enough in my question. The client wants to know if the core HP-UX supports this functionality, they already have printers capable of supporting bi-directional printing.
Thanks.
Bill
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi (again) Bill,

No, HP-UX does not have that capability. You have to add it. Hp just sends a job & is done w/it. Not sure if JetAdmin can do it...but I doubt it....else why would there be vendors out there?

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Bill Kimbell
Advisor

Hi Jeff,
I read through some of the links on the Google hits and found quite a few Linux sites referencing the "HPIJS" initiative. It seems that this focuses on, among other things, building Linux drivers to support HP Inkjet API's, some of which implement IEEE 1284 functionality. I have interpreted this to imply that, in HPUX, any printer/plotter models that are supported should also support bi-directional printing. If you see any glaring fallacy in this assumption please let me know.
Thanks again for the response.
Bill
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor
Solution

The parallel ports on HP-UX machines are not 1284 compliant so it isn't a matter of software, the hardware just won't do it. Bidirectional communication over a printer port has not been a priority, especially since most printing takes place remotely and 1284 defines parallel connections only. There are some discussions by the Network Printing Alliance to extend 1284's definitions to include network printing.

Now if you use HP's JetDirect interface cards and HP's network printing software, bidirectional communication occurs all the time. However, none of this communication occurs at the printer level, only at the network interface level. It's possible to use PJL (Printer Job Language) along with some prgramming, to ask for printer information, but that capability begs the question: what does your client want to accomplish? If it is an interface similar to a PC where things like ink or toner level pops up or user maintenance is required, there is a question practicality on a multi-user server, like where do you show these popups?

On the other hand, JetDirect software for HP-UX (and Solaris too) already allow you to specify a syslog server where you can capture status messages.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin