Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMAP daemon ping

Van Poelvoorde
Occasional Advisor

IMAP daemon ping

Hi,

I'm desperately seeking a tool to verify whether a running imap daemon is indeed up and running and responding.
I know I can try a telnet to the daemon on his listen port (143), but then I'm not able anymore to get out of that Telnet and that's a problem when I want to execute this from a script (the script generates hanging telnet processes under init).
Isn't there any other way ? Is there for example not somewhere a tool like 'imapping' or something like that?

thanks in advance for all your help!
3 REPLIES
Robin Wakefield
Honored Contributor

Re: IMAP daemon ping

You could use a here document:

telnet {hostname} 143 < /tmp/imap.test 2>/dev/null
0 logout
!

The check the contents of /tmp/imap.test

Robin.
Vincenzo Restuccia
Honored Contributor

Edit a file "exit" with vi,in vi ctrl-v (for insert) ctrl-] (for to go in telnet prompt) after edit quit.You have a file with 2 lines ctrl-] and quit.
#telnet {hostname} 143 < exit
Vincent Stedema
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

This will only work if you have perl and the IO::Socket module installed. Perl might be installed into another dir on your system.

#!/usr/bin/perl

use strict;
use IO::Socket::INET;

my ( $imap );

$imap=IO::Socket::INET->new( PeerAddr => 'localhost:143');

if(defined($imap) && $imap->connected())
{
shutdown($imap,2);
print "Connection to imap service succeeded.\n";
}
else
{
print "Connection to imap service failed.\n";
}