Operating System - HP-UX
1748060 Members
5130 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

IOSCAN and SAM do not see the same drives

Scott Wagner

IOSCAN and SAM do not see the same drives

I currently have a N class machine experiencing some problems. IOSCAN is not reading my DVD drive and one of the disk in the array. SAM can not find the DVD drive or 4 disks in the array. The SCSI bus the DVD is on works fine because my tape drive is working. I had a replacement DVD drive sent out and that one is not working. Can some provide guidance in how to tackle this problem?
4 REPLIES 4
Stefan Farrelly
Honored Contributor

Re: IOSCAN and SAM do not see the same drives

You have an intermittant SCSI connection problem. These are not easy to resolve.

Firstly, look at the Logtool hardware logs under STM (XSTM). Backtrack to the errors when the problems started to see if you can isolate which device on the SCSI chain was producing the most errors, and isolate (temporarily disconnect) it, then do a full ioscan and check the output and SAM can see everything aok.

If this doesnt work you will need to work on a process of elimination, disconnecting devices, doing a full ioscan, checking SAM can see everything (even rebooting to be safe) until you get to the point you connect a device and now you have problems with ioscan and/or SAM. This is most likely your troublesome device which needs replacement.

Try the logtool logs first, with some anaylsis you should be able to establish the most likely culprit before resorting to the isolation method which is much more time consuming.
Im from Palmerston North, New Zealand, but somehow ended up in London...
boley janowski
Trusted Contributor

Scott,

you did not state that you had checked any of the scsi id's, and that none of them have been duplicated on that bus. This is the most common over look for issues like this. Also if you are using single ended scsi, you could have a couple more issues. If the run to termination is too long it could cause ironious issues with seeing the drives. and finally if the terminiation is not good or not there. aswell as a scsi cable not seated properly. check these issues out if this isn't it, provide some feedback to us as to what you did try.

good luck
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

The first thing I would check is that you do not have duplicate SCSI ID's on the replacement DVD drive and another device.

Secondly,
I think you need to force SAM to find the missing drives.
Disks & File Systems->Disk Devices-Actions->Diagnose Missing Disks.

Also, make sure your external scsi busses are properly terminated.

Hope this helps, Clay.

If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Vincenzo Restuccia
Honored Contributor

Check /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log for errors from SCSI.