Operating System - OpenVMS
1752307 Members
5410 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: IP Terminal server : way to create permanent device ?

berlioz
Regular Advisor

IP Terminal server : way to create permanent device ?

Hello,
On my DS25, I use a portserver Lantronix to communicate with serial devices.

I've created for this telnet ports using the following telnet command :

telnet /create_session P2DS5 3005 5

My problem is that ports (TN5: here) created are not permanent and are deleted when the portserver shuts down or when network interruption occurs.

Is there a way to make permanent those ports?
6 REPLIES 6
Jur van der Burg
Respected Contributor

try adding /permanent to the command.

Jur.
Richard Jordan
Regular Advisor

We run the following command at our one site that needs the permanent connect similar to LAT (I wish it matched LAT's reliability...). What we use is NOT 100% reliable but the ports don't disappear unless we delete them. We do not have a LANTronix device; just DECservers.

telnet/create/timeout=reconnect=0-0:0:10 decservername portnumber

It serves adequately; the TNA devices are not deleted when the network links go down, though we sometimes have to either logout/reset the DECserver port they connect to, or more rarely delete and recreate the TNA device in order to get communications back up after a particularly nasty outage (Bellsouth... heh!). Adjust the timeout according to your requirements.
Richard Jordan
Regular Advisor

I see I typo'd. The command should include the desired TNA unit number:

telnet/create/timeout=reconnect=0-0:0:10 decservername portnumber unitnumber
berlioz
Regular Advisor

Richard :

what happens when the port is not used for a long time ? the device vaporizes ?

You're right, I try to replace my old DECserver 90 TL and 90 +. You said that you use "recent" DECserver: What model do you use?
Richard Jordan
Regular Advisor

We use DECserver 90M and 90M+ with the NAS software at those locations.

In our case we have print queues aimed at the TNA devices; even if the queues are not used for weeks, the devices remain, but the symbiont connection is always there. I created another TNA device with the command above on their Alpha yesterday, and it is still present now, with no usage and no connections. How long are your periods of non-use?

Some very old programs stop the queue so they can print directly to the TNA device, then restart the queue on completion; that is generally not an issue. The only time we have problems is during network outages, and in those cases the TNA devices do not go away, but the connection sometimes gets hung up.

When that happens, logging out the port on the DECserver end generally fixes it. More rarely we have to logout the decserver port, then delete and recreate the TNA device. We have not been able to determine the cause of those worst case events.

We have one port that aims at an internal (to the printer) JetDirect device; when that one hangs sometimes the printer needs to be powercycled, but often just pulling its ethernet cable and plugging it back in will get it going again. It also occasionally needs its TNA device rebuilt, so that problem is not DECserver specific. The TNA device has never 'disappeared' for this device either.
berlioz
Regular Advisor

Richard, thanks for all.

We use LANTRONIX device to control modems. In our case they are used to send alarm messages. (We open the port, we send the message and then we close the connection).

I've found much more information about our problem in the VMS FAQ but how to implement it.

(http://h71000.www7.hp.com/wizard/wiz_3150.html)

if someone as an idea...