5662 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

IRS credentials came back after delete

IRS77
Occasional Advisor

IRS credentials came back after delete

Hi,

if i delete a WBEM named credential and replace it with another named Credential, the original Credential always comes back after discovery.

I have observed this also at another site. Has someone faced the same issue and found a solution?

regards

Heiko

7 REPLIES 7
toddg1
HPE Pro

Re: IRS credentials came back after delete

Not sure I understand your problem 100%, but there are some "discovery credentials" that you entered at some point.  This would have been in the discovery "credentials" panel.  These are not named credentials, but these will be tried each time discovery is run.   For each device these credentials work, they are going to be associated with the device. 

That is by design.    So - unless I have misunderstood your statement, what is the behavior you are expecting?

I work for HPE
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
IRS77
Occasional Advisor

>>what is the behavior you are expecting?<<

I work with Named Credentials.  These Credentials are defined with "company Information", and in the Tab "Named Credentials".

My device, a P2000G3 was discovered, and we choose the according Named Credential "WBEM1"   !

A few days later we had to change the credential. Therefore we deleted the "WBEM1" Credential and choosed the Named Credential "WBEM2". After we made a new Discovery of this device, the old Credential "WBEM1" was back. It comes also back if we simple delete it and avoided another WBEM credential.

We have checked also that within Company Information , TAB Named Credential, no selectioon exist before we made the new discovery. I asume that this problem will only happen with larger configuration.

regards

Heiko

toddg1
HPE Pro

Where did you delete the credential?  On the named credential page, or on the device page?

If you don't remove from the "named credential" page - it's still out there for the discovery engine to try to use.

If you removed it there, I will have to go to the team with this one.

I work for HPE
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
IRS77
Occasional Advisor

>>Where did you delete the credential?  On the named credential page, or on the device page?<<

Perhaps i should say I deattached the Named Credential from the Device. This Credential is still valid for other devices. 

In our case we have 20 P2000 G3. Ten P2000g3 have Credential "WBEM1", and the remaining 10 have the Credential "WBEM2".

toddg1
HPE Pro

From a engineer on the team:

some observations:

• The customer didn’t answer your question regarding discovery default credentials. He confirms named credential exists (used by other devices) and that he detached this credential from the device itself.
  • WBEM1 gets re-attached with every discovery run which suggests two things:
    •                WBEM1 credential is a valid one for the target device
    •                WBEM1 credential is included in WBEM credential list of the discovery default credentials page.

If the customer wants to “see” WBEM2 credential attached he could try reorder WBEM credentials on the discovery default credentials page. They are ordered with credential on position one be tried first, position two will be only tried if credential on position one fails the tryCredential() test of the WBEM protocol. Once the customer puts WBEM2 first, he should no longer see WBEM1 being attached (presume WBEM2 is a valid credential for the target device).

So - please read this "observation" and see if you agree to the assumptions, and whether or not you can re-order the discovery credentials as suggested in the last paragraph to see if this resolves the issue.

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
IRS77
Occasional Advisor

Thanks.

I will delete all WBEM Credential on discovery default credentials page. And i will delete all IP Addresses there.

I see no reason why they should stay if these devices were already discovered.

After that i will discover my P2000 in the Device section and hopefully everything will be fine.

Do you think this will wotk? And is there a disadvantage in deleting all IP Addresses and Credentials in the Discover section?

toddg1
HPE Pro

This should be fine.   Generally, we don't remove IP addresses or ranges from that screen, we allow you to do this.

In general - a lot of folks choose to put in IP address RANGES, rather than specific addresses.  This way, when discovery runs each month (or manually by pressing the button) - any new devices in the range are discovered.

As you have the very specific addresses you want in the list, that's likely not a benefit to you.

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo