1747984 Members
4067 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

If you have a rp5470...

Gerry Tully
Frequent Advisor

If you have a rp5470...

Im have a question. Our Disaster Recovery company does not have a rp5470 so they told me that an N-Class system is completely compatible for recovery purposes. Anyone have any compatibility issues between the two systems? I'm sure someone has come across this as our DR Company is one of the big ones. Thanks.
Any Ideas?
5 REPLIES 5
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Re: If you have a rp5470...

A rp5470 is the equivalent of an L-class: 4 processors max, 16 GB RAM, 10 PCI slots. The N class, the equivalent of which is an rp74xx, has a max of 8 processors, 32 GB RAM and 12 PCI slots. If the primary application requires more than 4 processors, more than 16GB RAM or more than 10 PCI slots, then, no, the rp5470 would not be compatible.

Pete

Pete
S.K. Chan
Honored Contributor

If we're talking about the same OS version, same patch level then I think you should be fine. In the past I've worked with vendors which provide this kind of services and of course the best case scenario you can get is for them to match your hardware but sometimes if they can't you just have to make sure they get as close as possible and in your case they're doing just that. In fact it's a better deal because given both similar configured (memory and processor) systems the N has more horsepower. You have to also take into account what are the additional IO/adapter cards you got on your L and make sure they have the same configuration too.
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Oh! Sorry, Gerry, I was comparing the wrong way around. The N-class is what they're offering to substitute for a rp5470!! That's fine. Shouldn't be any issues at all, for the exact opposite of the reasons I previously stated.

Pete

Pete
Uday_S_Ankolekar
Honored Contributor

The N-Class (rp74XX ) are definitely more pwerful than the L claas (rp54xx). Your L-class application should fit in N-class without any problem.
Only make sure that OS level,patch level should match. and I guess you can run make_tape_recovery on L box and can be used it on N-Box.

-USA..
Good Luck..
Dave Chamberlin
Trusted Contributor

For recovery purposes the N will be just fine. You just need to be able to run the same OS, applications etc. Though the 5470 is more like an L, it has faster CPUs thus a 4-way 5470 at 750MHz is comparable to an 8-way N at 440MHz. We have been looking at getting a 4-way N, but a 2-way 5470 is looking better to us so far (lower support costs).