4468 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Ignite Recovery Tape on L-2000 with ver 11.00 with external DDS-3

harry_7
Frequent Advisor

Ignite Recovery Tape on L-2000 with ver 11.00 with external DDS-3

Hi,

I have created ignite tape with make_tape_recovery with -v -A options. The DDS-3 tape drive is external to L-2000 with Ver 11.00 with ignite 3.2 ver. I am getting the messages. Recovery tape creted successfully and it stored 29268+1 records on the tape.

After this to test tahe tape I have replaced the root disk and fixed the new disk with the same configurations. But when I am trying to boot from the recovery tape, whan I am selecting the alt boot path (tape) it is recognising the tape and tape drive also and after some time it is coming out to ISL > prompt.

Is it possible we can use the external tape for the recovery.

Same thing I did with my live server which has internal tape drive and that works fine.

Waiting for the valuable suggestions.

Regards

Harpreet Singh Chana
7 REPLIES 7
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Re: Ignite Recovery Tape on L-2000 with ver 11.00 with external DDS-3

Hi,

What is the error you are getting ?.

Regds
harry_7
Frequent Advisor

If we can not use the external tape drives then how to create the recovery tapes on 'N' class servers.

or for the recovery tape I have to specify the drive path during the make_tape_recevery -v -A /dev/rmt/0m etc .....

I am using the September 2001 release of OS and pathces also.

With Regards

Harpreet singh
harry_7
Frequent Advisor

Hi Sanjay,

I am not getting any errors. During creation of the tape I am getting the message tha recovery tape has buld successfully.
Once I have replaced the root disk, then I am trying to boot the system from recovery tape, system is recognising the tape drive as tape also. I t tries to initilise the tape but after few seconds it is coming at ISL > prompt.

Or is there any different method to create the recevery tpae.

With Regards

Harpreet Singh Chana
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Try creating your tapes this way:

# make_tape_recovery -x inc_entire=vg00 -I -v -a /dev/rmt/0mn

Make note of the 'no-rewind' device.

-Michael

Anyone for a Mutiny ?
D. Jackson_1
Honored Contributor

When you are trying to boot from the external tape device are you giving the hardware path of that device. The system should see the tape you should have the option to install from tape. I have gotten this to work from a jukebox by giving the hardware path of whatever tape device I am using..

After you reboot your system and get the message :press any key within 10 seconds to stop autoboot(something like that). You might want to search for the path in which you want to boot from. sea 10/12/6.0 or whatever the hardware path is..

Good Luck

harry_7
Frequent Advisor

Hi ,

First of all I am loading the then I am giving the command i.e

make_tape_recovery -v -A, this process is taking almost 25 mints. After that I amgettimg the message recovery tape created successfully.

After replacing the Root disk with the same configuration I am pressing the esc key to search the booth path and giving the alternate path for booting the system from the tape, I gave like p0 and full path also like (0/0/0.1.0 can't remember exact.) System is recognigig the tape drive and tape also. Tape drive led is blinking about 10-15 time and after that I am coming on ISL >.

I have repalced the tape drive as well as media also.
Paula J Frazer-Campbell
Honored Contributor

Hi

I am going to state the obvious but have you cleaned the dat drive ?

Paula
If you can spell SysAdmin then you is one - anon