5636 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

In Big Trouble

Sharvil Desai
Frequent Advisor

In Big Trouble

Hi!
I wanted to mount my windows 98 partition on RedHat 8.0. By mistake what I did is go into "parted" and did set minor lba on
Now I can't boot to my windows 98 anymore! When I turn on the computer, and select Windows 98 option the computer just hangs!
I don't know what to do! Now eventhough I try to set the lba flag off it still stays on. I have all my important files in windows! I don't even know if that hard-drive has been formated! Please help and tell me what do i do now? Thank you!
"help!"
2 REPLIES 2
Andreas Eckstein
Occasional Contributor

Re: In Big Trouble

Hi! First of all: Don't panic. I'm pretty sure your data is still where you left it. Have you tried to turn of lba via bios-menu? If that won't work for some reason, do the following:
1. Startup Psyche
2. open a console
3. type 'su root', type your root password
4. type 'cd /' to go to system root
5. type 'mkdir win'
6. type 'mount -t vfat /dev/hdXY /win' where you replace hdXY with the appropriate drive device (e. g. hda1 for the first partition on the primary IDE device).
7. type 'cd win'
8. type 'ls' to see - if all went well - your windows partition listed, and now you can (as root, mind you) access your data.
Please excuse me for being a bit verbose here, but i don't know whether you are experienced in unix/linux a bit or not.
Oh, and first of all you should check if your win-partition is already mounted by default (look out for /mount/C or /windows/C or something like this), I should think it is in a major distro like RedHat.
Andreas Eckstein
Occasional Contributor

Re: In Big Trouble

oh, sorry, 'Psyche' means RedHat Linux 8.0