Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In Big Trouble

Sharvil Desai
Frequent Advisor

In Big Trouble

Hi!
I wanted to mount my windows 98 partition on RedHat 8.0. By mistake what I did is go into "parted" and did set minor lba on
Now I can't boot to my windows 98 anymore! When I turn on the computer, and select Windows 98 option the computer just hangs!
I don't know what to do! Now eventhough I try to set the lba flag off it still stays on. I have all my important files in windows! I don't even know if that hard-drive has been formated! Please help and tell me what do i do now? Thank you!
"help!"
2 REPLIES
Andreas Eckstein
Occasional Contributor

Re: In Big Trouble

Hi! First of all: Don't panic. I'm pretty sure your data is still where you left it. Have you tried to turn of lba via bios-menu? If that won't work for some reason, do the following:
1. Startup Psyche
2. open a console
3. type 'su root', type your root password
4. type 'cd /' to go to system root
5. type 'mkdir win'
6. type 'mount -t vfat /dev/hdXY /win' where you replace hdXY with the appropriate drive device (e. g. hda1 for the first partition on the primary IDE device).
7. type 'cd win'
8. type 'ls' to see - if all went well - your windows partition listed, and now you can (as root, mind you) access your data.
Please excuse me for being a bit verbose here, but i don't know whether you are experienced in unix/linux a bit or not.
Oh, and first of all you should check if your win-partition is already mounted by default (look out for /mount/C or /windows/C or something like this), I should think it is in a major distro like RedHat.
Andreas Eckstein
Occasional Contributor

Re: In Big Trouble

oh, sorry, 'Psyche' means RedHat Linux 8.0