New Discussion юеВ

Re: In need of live contact

SOLVED
Go to solution
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi Sugar,

this is a natural reaction reaction, feeling discouraged. You start with something, which is so complex and it does not work like it should, but you can not just open a programme and look inside. There could be many reasons, it does not work. Programme bugs, you know, even those programmers, who programme these things, are not inerrable(what a surprise ;-)), etc... So, if you want to "surf", you have to get ahead of the wave!

BTW, there are many books called "... for dummies" for basic training for all sorts of programmes.

But first, let's find out, what programme you use for email. Programme usually betray their name, when they start. I assume, you use outlook express, when you have windows 98. But most programmes have as part of the help menu an info or about item to tell you name and version of the programme.

That's the spirit, Sugar. Don't give up. Take one step at a time and if you are peristent, you will also have many blissfull moments of success.

Michael

ps. Thanks for the points but please assign also points for Jim, who explained cookies. If you still have questions about them, ask!
Sugar Gatch
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Jim, those are good ideas. I have a E-mail account. But only one computer book. No fair, no fair- I wanna learn overnight! Thanks to Michael, I got those cookies taken care of. On to the next pursuit! Thank you again!
Sugar Gatch
Frequent Advisor

Hello there again Michael. I did get those cookies straightened out. I took a computer 101 class in college and I still have the book. I remember seeing those books for dumbies. I think I'll get one of those. After I replied to your last message I found out that it is "out look" on the E-mail. I just did'nt quit understand. I was able to straighten a few things out. Although I still don't know why it won't print in some window's, unless it's because of the color of type against the window page. Still working on that. I did assign points for Jim. I did'nt know they did'nt appear. I just got done writting to him too. So I will go back and try again. I sure hope I did'nt hurt his feelings. I gave you points also. I hope you got them. Sug.
Sugar Gatch
Frequent Advisor

TO JIM AND MICHAEL: I have assigned you both points each time you have replied to my questions. When I submitted the points a page came up reading "HTTP 500- Internal Server Error. Internet Explorer." I clicked the refresher and it read "System unavailable. Try again later." I will try again laater, but in the meantime. I wanted to let you guys know how sorry I'm and how much I appreciate you both! Sug.
Jim Kisco
Trusted Contributor

Sugar ;

Thanks, the points are showing, so success, you are getting things done just like an expert user.

I buy the "blah blah for dummies" books occasionally to easily start learning right away and use as a reference.
So thats a good idea.........

So as time goes on your confidence will build, and you will learn new things.
Don't worry, realize that being frustrated makes you learn more.

Getting into a more stable operating system like Windows 2000 Pro or Windows XP Pro going into the future will help eliminate these errors.

Don't give up,
Jim

Sugar Gatch
Frequent Advisor

Jim; I'm so glad you got your points! I felt so bad about that and was worried the points were'nt going to go through and post! I won't be able to gwt my dummy book (ha!ha!) untill friday. So untill then I have to keep looking around on the computer for help' I have read so much stuff that I'm ready to go cross eyed from all the tiny print. So far I have'nt been able to find anything that pertains to the problem of not being able to type in the window. When I recieve E-mail,I can't write back. I can fill the To;,Cc;,and subject windows in. But when I drop down to the message window, the little white flashing bar goes across as I type, but no print appears. Then last night I was on-line with a eBay chat, and they had given me some links. I have'nt got the printer hooked up yet(one mountain at a time, right?!), so I had the chat E-mailed to me. And another problem popped-up. Something about the run time had been executed in an unusual way.There was an error and it did not send. So there went my links, right out the window. No pun intended! Well I'm very glad you got your points. I'm off now to pursuit more answers to my seemingly never ending list of curiousities. Hope to here from you soon inreference to any. Sug.
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi Sugar,

I hope, you have a decent monitor, which shows colors as they should and not an eye killer like a friend of mine, which caused me head ache just by looking at it for five minutes.

I started outlook exporess and when you create a new email, you have a window like in the attachment. There is an underlined A, which when you click, you can set the color of the text you type. So set it to something you can read better. This also applies to replying to emails.

I hope, this solves that.

Michael
Sugar Gatch
Frequent Advisor

Michael; YeeHa! It worked, it worked, it worked! I followed your directions and now I can reply to E-mail! I'm tickeled to death! That was so easy, but I was scared to touch anything! I sure will be glad to get that book and I can order a owner's manual through H.P. When did you send your reply? My computer did'nt tell me it was there' I just happened to run across it when I was looking up a link in my past messages. It has today's date but it say's 6:35a.m. and it it almost 10a.m. here. I live on the East coast. You must be far away! Hope your weather is better than mine! Can you answer another ? for me, please? When you first turn on the computer, there are a bunch of icons on the monitor. There is a little computer with the word "newcookies". I tried to open it and a window came on asking if I was sure I wanted to open it. It's named a PDF file. What is PDF and is it safe to open? Thank you so much!
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi Sugar,

I am here in Germany/Frankfurt. Which time and time zone do you see next to my reply? The weather here is overcast with a little blue in between. We had some snow overnight, but it's gone already.

See, you had your first success. ;-) You can learn a lot by looking trough the menues. If in doubt whether you would change something, leave a window by abort.

A file with .pdf at the end of the name is a format from the company Adobe and is used to create documents. For to read it, you need the Acrobat Reader, which can be downloaded at www.adobe.com
It is safe to open. Can you read it?

have fun,

Michael
Sugar Gatch
Frequent Advisor

Wow, I had no ides that you were so far away! Are you in the service stationed there or is that where you live? If this were not a H.P. site. I could think of a hundred things to ask. I have to ask this tho- Do they have pug dogs in germany? I love pug dogs! I have 9! Thanks again Sug.