Operating System - Microsoft
1752339 Members
5628 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Increase RAM limit of 64 mb on Compaq 2256??

Dan_278

Increase RAM limit of 64 mb on Compaq 2256??

Does anyone know if and/or how to increase the RAM limit on this Compaq 2256. It is running WIN98 (1st edition), I think, (Build 4.10.1998). It is the originnal chipset, etc,; 300 Mg AMD K6-2 processor and BIOS; Compaq 6.0005/21/98. Is there a easy tweak or upgrade to make this thing run 256 mb RAM, or should I just toss that damn thing.
7 REPLIES 7
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Dan:

It looks like you can't go beyond 64MB RAM. See:

http://www.memoryx.net/presario2256.html

Sorry!

Make a great day!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Norman_21
Honored Contributor

Maybe this will help. Win98 should function ok with 64Mb:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?product=92288тМй=en&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&os=20&docname=c00004195

just a thought
"Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching"/ My first point was given by SEP on January 31, 2003
Dan_278

Thanks guys, but I was hoping to find a way to FORCE the machine to take more RAM without major overhaul, like new processor, or motherboard, etc. Would anyone else care to try. I can always load WIN98 2nd, it will handle more RAM, but I do not know if the hardware will allow it. I ran Belarc advisor, and it said the max was 132 or some thing like that, that's what prompted the question. I hate to trash the thing if I can speed it up enough to use the new larger programs, i.e., MS Office 2000, etc.

I would appreciate a definitive answer.
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Dan:

All motherboards have a defined maximum amount of RAM which, typically, cannot be exceeded. A rare exception occurs when a piece of memory is released after the motherboard specs have been formulated and that new piece of memory is compatible with that motherboard. I'll take a quick look to see if I can find any evidence of that for your system and re-post. Don't hold your breath, however.

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Dan:

I tried to contact HP about this but I never got a reply. Try this link to send e-mail to HP about this issue and see what you get back from them:

http://wwemail.support.hp.com/fd2/EmailForm?countrycode=us&langcode=en&sni=compaqpres96354

HTH

Make a great day!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Karen_75

Dan, I am having the exact same thing happen? Did you ever find out if you can upgrade? I am getting ready to hook my mother up to SBC DSL this weekend and I need more memory first for her Compaq 2256!!! HELP!!
Dan_278

Karen,
I gave up and bought a new puter.

Dan