New Discussion юеВ

Increase the size of a directory (?)

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sharvil Desai
Frequent Advisor

Increase the size of a directory (?)

Hi guys!
I have one more question. I was trying to install Oracle 9.0.1 on RedHat Linux 7.2 last night and everything was going well until I was 82% done with the installation. All of a sudden an error message came up that said,"You may not have enough space to write to /home/sdesai/OraHome1/ultrasearch/admin/wk0ds.plb
Please create more space at this location and try again."
I have absolutely no idea how to increase the space at this locatin. Can someone kindly post an example of how to do this? Since I have no idea what the comman is, I couldn't even use the MAN pages!! Thank you for your help.
"help!"
6 REPLIES 6
Jeffrey S. Sims
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Re: Increase the size of a directory (?)

It sounds like you need to increase the size of the partition you are installing to. If you type df -h that will tell you the available space on the device. If the device is indeed full then you either need a bigger device or increase the size of the partition if you didn't allocate all the space on the device during installation. It could also be quota restrictions but that should give you a quota error instead of the one you received so I wouldn't think that is the problem.

Hope this helps (even a little).
Sharvil Desai
Frequent Advisor

Thank you Jeffrey! Assuming that it is not a quota problem, are you 100% sure that there isn't a way to increase the size of a directory? If anyone can answer that I would appreciate it.
"help!"
Mark Fenton
Esteemed Contributor

Sharvil,

Directories have no size, per se, just file systems.

df -h (or -k if you prefer) /home will show how much space is available in the file system that /home is part of.

One trick that can be employed to gain more space, is to move portions of whatever file system /home belongs to to another file system that does have room on it, and then supply a symbolic link to the new location.

For instance, you could move /var/log (as an example, and again assuming that it's on the same file system as /home) to, say /usr/local/ (if it's a different file system) thusly:

# mkdir /usr/local/log
# cp -R /var/log /usr/local/log
# rm -R /var/log
# ln -s /usr/local/log /var/log

/var/log is now a link to the real log directory, /usr/local/log and all the space that was being used by those files is now available for use elsewhere on the original file system.

hth

Mark
Sharvil Desai
Frequent Advisor

Thank you very much for all your help guys! Both answers are very helpful. Mark, thank you for the tip, it's very useful!!!
"help!"
Ted M Johnson_1
Frequent Advisor

..justs a quick note about the "couldn't even use the MAN pages" statement. You can use the -k switch on the man command to search for keywords you think may be appropritate. Try it once, and it'll become your new best friend :-)
Sharvil Desai
Frequent Advisor

Thank you Ted! That will really be very useful! :-)
"help!"