New Discussion юеВ

Re: Incremental/Diffrential Backup via 'tar'

SOLVED
Go to solution
Maaz
Valued Contributor

Incremental/Diffrential Backup via 'tar'

Hello All Great Gurus
Please kindly let me know how can I take incremental/diffrential backups, via tar utility. Please let me know the syntax

#tar -cvf /mnt/backup /

so what should i write now to take incremental/diffrential backup, please write the SYNTAX.

Many Many Thanks in Advance
Best Regards
Maaz
7 REPLIES 7
Maaz
Valued Contributor

Hello Great Folks, please provide me your kind feedbacks/assistance ASAP.

Thaanks
Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello Maaz,

you might want to checkout

http://tille.soti.org/training/tldp/ch09.html#sect_09_01_01_02

for documentation on this.

Also amanda (www.amanda.org) might be worth a look.

Greetings, Martin

Olivier Drouin
Trusted Contributor

huh, didnt know we could do it with tar.

Anyway dump/restore (or ufsdump/ufsrestore on other unices) will let you do incremental backups... see the man pages
James A. Donovan
Honored Contributor

You have to have the Gnu version of tar for that particular -N option to wrok (shouldn't be a problem form most Linux installs).

Alternatively, you could whip something together using the -newer option of the find command and piping the output to tar.

e.g.

find /somedir -newer somefile | tar cvf /dev/mytapedevice
Remember, wherever you go, there you are...
Jeroen Peereboom
Honored Contributor

Maaz,tar -u : appends files to the tar archive that are newer than those in the archive.So tar -uvf /mnt/backup will do it.If you are using tapes, you might want to use something like tar --create -- verbose -- listed-incremental --file /dev/Or tar cvf -g /Check the man page for all the commands and qualifiers.Do some simple test on a small subdirectory.JP.
Maaz
Valued Contributor

Thanks Martin, ur suggested url worked for me, and i m successful in acheiving my target, again many thanks, I acheived as

# tar -cvf /mnt/backup040320 -g snapshot-20040320 /
# tar -cvf /mnt/backup040321 -g snapshot-20040320 /
Many Thanks Martin.

And Jim Donovan, could u please explain a bit more, I didnt get you, u wrote:
find /somedir -newer somefile | tar cvf /dev/mytapedevice
could u please kindly explain it. i just didnt understand "find /somedir -newer somefile" could u please write the EXACT syntax. Do u mean "find / - newer backup.tar |tar -cvf /mnt/backupmedia" Infact I just didnt understand what do mean by "-newer somefile" portion of the syntax. But many thanks for ur feedback Jim.

And Olivier Drouin, I try my best to follow ur suggestions, anyway many thanks.

And in last Many Thanks Jeroen Peereboom. Infact i dont want to replace previos files, with modified ones. what i want is to take backup in new archive, if there is any modification occured, as compare to prevois archive.

THANKS A MILLION, TO U ALL FOR THE FEEDBACKS.

Best Regards
Maaz
James A. Donovan
Honored Contributor

The '-newer' switch for the find command tells find to list only those files which have a newer timestamp than the specified file.

The standard find command that comes with RHAS2.1 also allows for '-anewer file' and '-cnewer file', which 'find' files that have been Accessed more recently or Changed more recently, respectively.

Remember, wherever you go, there you are...