1748051 Members
5008 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Infra red port resource conflict

Ravi Challu

Infra red port resource conflict

Hi,

I have just upgraded WIn95 that came with my Armada 1750 6366/T/6400/D/M/1 to WIN 2000 Professional (Service Pack 4).

Immediately after the upgrade I noticed that the upgrade created a resource conflict between SMC IrCC - fast Infrared port and COM1.

When I checked under Device Manager I see the following message---

"This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)

If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system."

I also see twin entries (Is this OK?) for COM1 port listed under Device Manager. WHile the first COM 1 device (IRQ 3) is working fine however the 2nd COM 1 (IRQ 4) has a resource conflict with the Infrared port (Also on IRQ 4).

How do I resolve this and make my Infra red port work again?

This problem is not linked to Win 2000 Service Pack 4 as it exists prior to running SP4.

Thanks in anticipation

Ravi Challu
6 REPLIES 6
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Ravi:

I would upgrade the BIOS (if it's newer) from:

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/Armada/us/locate/20_1096.html

then go into the BIOS setup program and restore to defaults. Then look in the same program for a setting for 'Plug and Play BIOS' (which may or may not exist). If it exists, try booting your system with it set each of the two possible ways and see which (if any) solves your problem.

If problem persists, try booting up in Safe Mode and delete anything flagged in Device Manager (as well as any duplicates). Then reboot and see if everything gets re-detected OK.

Let us know how this goes.

Make a great day!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Ravi Challu

Hi Roger,

Thanks a lot for your advice. I shall try that.

Though the accompanying note with the upgrade dated year 2000 isnt silent on the infrared issue. But then who knows what mysterious ways this code works in have been left for the user to find out much to his joy (and at times chagrin).

Fortunately I back up enough so I am not particularly worried. It is just that my mobile phone tlaks to the lap top over the Infrared port and it is a great convenience to have it work smoothly.

Thanks once again and I will keep the forum posted.

Have a great day

Ravi
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Ravi:

I believe the InfraRed is an option for the COM1 setting in the BIOS Setup program. Here is an excerpt from Ms KnowledgeBase article 245386:

"CM_PROB_NORMAL_CONFLICT
Text that is displayed in Device Manager:

This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system. (Code 12)
Solution button: Hardware Troubleshooter
Cause
This error message is also one of the most commonly encountered error messages in Windows 2000. Although it means exactly what it says, the source of the resource conflict may not be readily apparent.
Troubleshooting
In the same properties page where the error message occurs, click the Resources tab. Windows 2000 attempts to flag the associated device that is in conflict with the device in question. You should avoid manually assigning resources in a Plug and Play system, because this can create potential problems in the future as Plug and Play attempts to do its job at a later time. Either disable or remove the device that is in conflict to see if the device reporting the error message starts. You can then add the device you removed back into the system and see if the device can take new resources on its own. The following information describes how this may occur:

Plug and Play attempts to automatically assign resources to devices. It examines a "form" that defines the resources that a device can use and draws its choices from that list. In that same form (actually a structure in the configuration memory space of the device) is a list of resources that the device prefers to use. When two devices contain identical "preferred" settings, something commonly referred to as "resource affinity" occurs. Devices fight for possession of a specific resource, which causes a deadlock. A similar situation is created by resource dependency configurations. In that same form mentioned earlier, devices may define resource dependencies. For example, "If this device is assigned x IRQ, then use y I/O port address." The dependent resource may be in conflict with another device causing a failure. Disabling the working (but conflicting) device changes the order of enumeration and may force the other device to take on new settings that are not in conflict. This behavior occurs more often in Windows 95/98 where device enumeration occurs in a specific order, whereas Windows 2000 multithreads enumeration enumerates all device at once. Although multithreading helps to alleviate this problem, it may not resolve the problem. If the procedures outlined here do not resolve the problem, check for updated device drivers from the manufacturer before attempting to manually assign resources to the device.
Sometimes Windows 2000 cannot detect which device is actually in conflict. This behavior can occur because errors in the IRQ routing tables or I/O port conflicts are created by an improperly configured PCI-to-ISA bridge. Complete coverage of each of these concepts is outside the scope of this article. The most common method for resolving this problem is to update the system BIOS. On non-ACPI systems, you may be able to select an alternate IRQ routing table source. Refer to the Microsoft Knowledge Base for articles explaining IRQ routing in Windows 2000 and how to edit the registry to select an alternate method. Because the most common resolution in any system BIOS update is to resolve error messages in IRQ routing, you should resolve this problem by checking with the manufacturer of the device for an updated system BIOS.
This behavior may also occur because of irresolvable conflicts in an ISA/PCI mixed environment. The ISA bus is not designed with Plug and Play in mind. Because of this, the PCI bus has no reliable way of detecting the resource settings of ISA devices. Try removing any unneeded ISA devices in the system to see if the device in question properly configures itself. If this works, check the System Information tool for free resources and set the ISA device for the appropriate configuration. In the case of a Plug and Play ISA device, try replacing the device in an alternate ISA slot. If this does not resolve the issue, check with the manufacturer for a digitally signed Windows 2000 device driver for the ISA device. You can also try starting into the system BIOS and setting the resources for the ISA device as Reserved by (or for) ISA. This action may manually remove the use of the resource in question from the Plug and Play equation. If none of these recommendations resolves the problem, you may have to find a PCI version of the ISA device."

This is just to give you more detail about the Code 12 message.

Roger

Make a great day!

Roger
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Ravi:

The previous message I posted confirms the importance of upgrading the BIOS. Please do that first!

That alone may solve your problem but if not, please go into the BIOS Setup program and look for the COM1 settings. Typically, there is an option for IR (or InfraRed, FIR, or something like that). Set it to that and retry.

COM1 typically uses IRQ4 so I would expect IR to use IRQ4 as well (but I'm not positive about this). IRQ3 is typically uses by COM2 which generally is not present on laptop/notebook computers.

After you've done the BIOS upgrade, please post the results. I will research if there is anything unusual about the IR implementation on the Armada 1750.

Make a great day!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Ravi:

Here is an interesting article about Infrared and Windows 2000. Please ignore the Service Pack references as they are steering you to install SP3 and you already have SP4 installed. Also, the security rollup package pertains to SP2. I just thought the information in the article might be meaningful/valuable to you.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;252795&Product=win2000

Have you gotten a new (Windows 2000-specific) version of the software for your cellphone?

Here's another article that may prove helpful:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302011&Product=win2000

One more suggestion is that you also post in the following forum where the people have a lot of hardware-specific knowledge about Armadas:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/categoryhome.do?categoryId=274

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Ravi Challu

This will require a ROM upgrade which I am not going to risk at this stage.