1752591 Members
3248 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Install Issue - Proliant DL380 G4 & Mandrake 10.1

Paul Dejyothin
Occasional Contributor

Install Issue - Proliant DL380 G4 & Mandrake 10.1

Has anyone successfully installed Mandrake 10.1 onto a ProLiant DL380 G4?

I've managed to successfully install the OS, although when booting the system it throws up Kernal Panic error.

If anyone has installed MDK 10.1 onto this particular HP Model I'd appreciate your input in how you managed to get it working.

--

Part of the bootup failure messages is as follows:

Creating root device
Mounting root filesystem
mount: error 6 mounting ext3 flags default
well, trying without the option flags
**repeats 2 more times**
pivotroot: pivot_root(/sysroot,/sysroot/initrd) failed: 2
umount /innitrd/sys failed: 2
umount /initrd/proc failed: 2
Initrd finished
Freeing unused kernal memory: 216k freed
Kernal panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernal.
3 REPLIES 3
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

The error message you've shown here states that the filesystem you've installed on to cannot be accessed properly. My assumption would be that the drivers for the RAID controller (cciss for SA6* series) aren't in the 'initrd'.

Now to answer the initial question, no, I've never used Mandrake. But get the 'cciss' drivers appropriate for the kernel you're going to be running installed on the system, and made into the appropraite 'initrd', then you'll have a shot.
One long-haired git at your service...
Ross Minkov
Esteemed Contributor

Mandrake is not supported OS for this server. Why don't you try installing one of the supported Linux OSs on it. See http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/linux/hpLinuxcert.html and http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/linux/hpLinuxcert-novell.html

-Ross
Gopi Sekar
Honored Contributor

There is a chance that cciss drive is not supporting SA 6i controller on Mandarke 10.1, but i feel that is bit strange because the installation is completed successfully with the same distribution on the same server.

your problem could be something else, have you done any customization on your system after installation (like upgrading the kernel) changing files before boot. or installing some custom applications etc. please share them and it would be of helpful for us to provide an answer to this

Regards,
Gopi
Never Never Never Giveup