Operating System - Linux
1752749 Members
5004 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Installation of RHEL5.5 on BL460c G7

Installation of RHEL5.5 on BL460c G7

Hi Gurus,
I've been asked to install linux on BL460c G7, and although I'm a long time Linux user I don't have a lot of experience with business servers.
My question is: What drivers and what modifications do I need to do in order to make everything work? Is it just installing from the regular dvd and that's it (Through an iLO3 virtual image or a usb-connected cd-rom as far as I understood it)? Do I install PSP afterwards?
I wasn't able to find a document explaining the methods and procedures involved in this.

Thank you very much!
4 REPLIES 4
Bob_Vance
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Installation of RHEL5.5 on BL460c G7

First, download and boot the latest Firmware CD/DVD
and let it update everything it finds, except the ILO itself, if you're using it for Virtual Media boot. Then do the ILO separately.

The PSP is used after installation, but it has a lot of stuff on it.
Personally I would only use PSP for particular necessary drivers, which you probably could get individually from the HP site.

The most important drivers/sw would be the Fibre Channel driver if you're using SAN and ACU (Array Config Util) if using a smart arrray (built-in is one), but you can also get those individually.

bv
"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne." - Chaucer

Thanks for the reply!
So generally speaking, there's no serious showstopper in a simple RHEL5.5 installation on a BL460c? I mean, all of the hardware will get detected by built-in kernel drivers? Because I was actually recommended by someone to avoid PSP as much as possible since RedHat support will frown upon a system that is heavily dependent on PSP drivers..
Thanks again!

P.S - Are you from Bob Vance Refrigeration? :)
Bob_Vance
Esteemed Contributor

I agree with avoiding PSP.
Again, any important drivers can be downloaded individually.

But, I *definitely* update the Firmware -- it's first step for me always.

If you have Fibre Channel, then it's **imperative** to use the HP drivers (download or use them out of PSP).

bv
"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne." - Chaucer

ok, will do.
thank you very very much!