New Discussion юеВ

Re: Installation of Sybase

SOLVED
Go to solution
andrew medhurst
Advisor

Installation of Sybase

Hi guys
i need to install sybase and know that it goes onto raw disks, but i was wondering if there is a correct filesystem setup that i should be aware of, i have installed oracle and am fully aware of the relervant OFA and disk filesystem setup for oracle but not sybase.
i would appreciate any info on system setup i.e disk, tuning.
i have looked on the sybase website but was unable to find anything usefull.
regards
andrew
6 REPLIES 6
Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor

mario ferrari

As far as I've experienced, raw devices are a rather good solution. chown them ( /dev/vgX/rlv.... ) to the right user, after lvcreat-ing them.
More important, check carefully the /dev/async setting, as you can find on many forum threads.
I suggest 0x000000 as minor number, db owner as /dev/async owner.
The problem with raw devices is, you always have to report their dimension to the dba, if he doesn't take note, or teach him how to vgdisplay. Ditto for developers.
When creating sybase devices they automatically can see the correct dimension, though.
Regards,
Marco
Mobeen_1
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Andrew,
I have worked on Sybase ASE and Sybase Replication servers for a no. of yrs. I would assure you that you would be better off for RAW devices.

With regard to setting up Sybase i would recommend the following

1. Place the log and data devices on
seperate devices. This aids in recovery.

2. Create another file system for your
dump devices

Generally you would find the following naming conventions in Sybase installations

1. /SYBASE file system - This will contain
all your Sybase Installation, home and
binaries

2./DUMP file system for your data dumps and
transaction logs

3. One file system for your DATA...generally
this will be named YourServername_data

4. One file system for your LOG devices

Last but not the least, make sure that your Unix admin creates an account called sybase and grants all the required privileges and also all the file systems have this ownership. This is the most common mistake i have seen happen many a times.

Let me know if you have any specific questions

rgds
Mobeen
Mobeen_1
Esteemed Contributor

Andrew,
How did this go ? Let me know if you need any specific information. I can provide you some links if required

rgds
Mobeen
andrew medhurst
Advisor

havn't had time to action yet it is on my to do list for next two days thanks for the help will let you know outcome.
regards
andrew
Mobeen_1
Esteemed Contributor

Andrew,
Since you have yet started with the installation. I would suggest that you have these links with you, these may help you to some extent.

http://www.sybase.com/detail?id=1029799

http://www.sybase.com/detail?id=206099

I am not sure which version you intend to install. I would suggest that you go to sybase.com and perform a search

rgds
Mobeen