1748014 Members
4550 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Installing Fedora 4 on Compaq Proliant 1600

Aakash Ahuja
Occasional Advisor

Installing Fedora 4 on Compaq Proliant 1600

Hi...i have a compaq proliant 1600 with dual PII 350 processors & 384mb ram, 4 x 9.1 HDD configured into raid 5 using 2dh raid controller. I have created 1 logical drive out of all the available space...however it is not formatted at all. whenever i try to install fedora 4...the installer crashes giving the below error in the first cd itself. Also when i test the media...it says that the media has some errors...however the media on some other pc gives no errors.

======

Traceback (most recent call last)
File "/user/bin/anaconda", line 358, in ?
from exception import handleException
File "/user/lib/anaconda/exception.py", line 24, in?
import rpm
File "/user/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rpm/_init_.py", line 7, in ?
from _rpm import *
ImportError: /usr/lib/librpmio-4.4.so: invalid ELF header

======

Kindly advise.
10 REPLIES 10
Alexander Chuzhoy
Honored Contributor

This is known bug.
try the following:
1. boot from first cd and instead of simply typing linux and pressing enter or just pressing enter,type
linux mediacheck
after you'll get back the prompt type linux and the installation will continue without problems.
Alexander Chuzhoy
Honored Contributor

sorry, just rechecked:
first type:
mediacheck
it would give you an error.
Then type:
linux mediacheck
and everything will work fine

Aakash Ahuja
Occasional Advisor

Hi...thanks...after the linux mediacheck error...do i just continue to install from that screen...or press f12 to go to next screen....or reboot & restart to come to main options and try to install...sorry if my question is dumb...but i'm very new to linux.
Alexander Chuzhoy
Honored Contributor

try to continue.
This bug may confuse you and leave a bad taste.
If you can download fedora 3 or some enterprise version of redhat-it'be much better.
Aakash Ahuja
Occasional Advisor

Hi...sorry but errors all the way...i had some errors with fedors 2 on the same box...so some1 suggested me to download 4...is there any other way around this...i dont want to wait a couple of days downloading 3 again

thanks.
Alexander Chuzhoy
Honored Contributor

the bug of "in the first cd itself"
is fedora 4 related.
As for other errors- this might be some hardware issue or software misconfiguration.
Aakash Ahuja
Occasional Advisor

i tried all options possible...but no good...can u plz suggest any other way around...i dont want to waste time downloading fedora 3 as i need to set-up the server & test sendmail asap.
Puneet Malhotra

Hi Akash,

You have checked all the possible options, but lemme ask you one thing. Have you considered checking another cdrom. As the media errors can be associated with Cd as well as CDROM. I believe changing the cdrom should work.
Aakash Ahuja
Occasional Advisor

Hi puneet, Thanks but i have already done that & the installation had started but was giving me a vired video output. so i went back to fedora 2 and started the installation...here all is ok so far but the mouse is not working...i tried both ps2 & serial...also it does not recognise my monitor...any help on that.