Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
General
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing Linux on my HP Pavilion 7285

Mike Olson_2
Occasional Visitor

Installing Linux on my HP Pavilion 7285

I am trying to install the Fedora Core 3 version of Linux on my HP Pavilion 7285. It currently is running Win95 and I would like to create a dual boot system. I have one floppy drive and two hard drives, one of which is empty, which is where I want to install Linux. When I try to boot the Linux installation cd I get an error message which states that it cannot locate the cdrom drive. I went into the BIOS screen and made sure that I can boot the cdrom drive. Still no luck. I attempted to copy the first disk to one of my hard drives and boot it from there but it crashed the system, so I had to use my Win95 recovery cd. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
2 REPLIES
NiCK_76
Respected Contributor

Re: Installing Linux on my HP Pavilion 7285

Hi Mike Olson,

Try to use "linux hdX=cdrom" to boot linux installion. Do you konw what is hdX?
ide0 master socket is hda; ide0 slave socket is hdb;ide1 master/slave socket is hdc/hdd.

NiCK
just for fun
Andrew Cowan
Honored Contributor

Re: Installing Linux on my HP Pavilion 7285

There is a problem when trying to boot when the GRUB or LILO boot loader is on one disk and the installation is on the other. Try booting from the installation CD or a floppy. If this is the problem you could create the "/boot" on the first disk and then all the other partitions on the other.