Operating System - Linux
1752271 Members
4625 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Installing Linux on my HP Pavilion 7285

Mike Olson_2

Installing Linux on my HP Pavilion 7285

I am trying to install the Fedora Core 3 version of Linux on my HP Pavilion 7285. It currently is running Win95 and I would like to create a dual boot system. I have one floppy drive and two hard drives, one of which is empty, which is where I want to install Linux. When I try to boot the Linux installation cd I get an error message which states that it cannot locate the cdrom drive. I went into the BIOS screen and made sure that I can boot the cdrom drive. Still no luck. I attempted to copy the first disk to one of my hard drives and boot it from there but it crashed the system, so I had to use my Win95 recovery cd. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
2 REPLIES 2
NiCK_76
Respected Contributor

Re: Installing Linux on my HP Pavilion 7285

Hi Mike Olson,

Try to use "linux hdX=cdrom" to boot linux installion. Do you konw what is hdX?
ide0 master socket is hda; ide0 slave socket is hdb;ide1 master/slave socket is hdc/hdd.

NiCK
just for fun
Andrew Cowan
Honored Contributor

Re: Installing Linux on my HP Pavilion 7285

There is a problem when trying to boot when the GRUB or LILO boot loader is on one disk and the installation is on the other. Try booting from the installation CD or a floppy. If this is the problem you could create the "/boot" on the first disk and then all the other partitions on the other.