108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Installing Oracle 10G on Integrity Server running 11.23

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jim Wallace
Frequent Advisor

Installing Oracle 10G on Integrity Server running 11.23

Hi, I hope some one can point me in the right direction.

I'm installing 10G on a RX3600 running HP-UX 11.23 and getting the following error whilst running the prerequesite checks.

Checking for PHSS_33278; found Not found. Failed <<<<
Checking for PHSS_33279; found Not found. Failed <<<<
Checking for PHSS_33277; found Not found. Failed <<<<

33277 refers to the HP C Compiler.
33278 refers to the aC++ Compiler.
33279 refers to the u2comp/be/plugin library patch.

This would mean that to install 10G on an Intergrity Server you have to purchase the HP C/aC++ Developer's Bundle.

This was not the case for installing 10G on a PA-RISC running 11.23 as the following was suficient for the installation.

# USB-00.OOANSIC B.11.23.02 HP Object Oriented ANSI C infrastructure
USB-00.OOANSIC.OOANSIC-KRN B.11.23.02 Object Oriented ANSI C Kernel Software Distribution

These are installed as part of the USB drivers, but the ANSI C parts don't exist on an Integrity install of 11.23.

Is there something that I am missing?

To install Oracle 10G on an Integrity Server do I now have to purchase the HP C/aC++ Developer's Bundle, which for a dual core system would cost around ┬г1300?
6 REPLIES 6
Steven E. Protter
Exalted Contributor

Re: Installing Oracle 10G on Integrity Server running 11.23

Shalom,

The compiler requirements are the same for Oracle 10G on both PA-RISC and Itanium.

They may simply hae been bundled with the PA-RISC system you have referred to.

As far as I know there is no option other than to purchase the compilers. Or go Linux where they come with the OS.

SEP
Steven E Protter
Owner of ISN Corporation
http://isnamerica.com
http://hpuxconsulting.com
Sponsor: http://hpux.ws
Twitter: http://twitter.com/hpuxlinux
Founder http://newdatacloud.com
Ian Lochray
Respected Contributor
Solution

Here is the word for Oracle note 412450.1. I hope the formatting is OK.
SymptomsDuring the installation of Oracle Database 10gR2 on HP-UX (PA-RISC or Itanium) you are advised that some pre-install requirements are not met. For example:

Checking for PHSS_33278; found Not found. Failed <<
Checking for PHSS_33279; found Not found. Failed <<
Checking for PHSS_33277; found Not found. Failed <<

Checking for maxswapchunks=16384; found no entry. Failed <<

CauseCompiler patches
================

The HP ANSI C and C++ (aCC) compilers are not required to run the Oracle database. They are required for compiling Pro*C, OCI, or OCCI client applications, or to generate natively compiled objects.

The Oracle Database 10g Release 2 installer always checks for the existence of compiler related patches. You may see error messages similar to the following:

Checking for PHSS_33278; found Not found. Failed <<
Checking for PHSS_33277; found Not found. Failed <<

Moreover, compiler patches are valid only for the following specific versions of the compilers:

HP C compiler Dec. 2004 (AR 1204) release B.11.11.12 - C-ANSI-C
HP C++ (aCC) compiler Dec. 2004 (AR 1204) release A.03.60: ACXX

If you do not intend to compile client applications or to generate natively compiled objects in this Oracle installation you may ignore these error messages. If you have newer releases of compiler, you will not require these specific patches and they can be ignored.

Kernel Parameters
=================

During the installation, the Oracle Database 10g Release 2 installer checks for tunable operating system kernel parameters. On newer releases of HP-UX, some of the kernel parameters may be obsolete and the installer may generate an error message. These errors, indicated by the 'found no entry' message, can be ignored.

For example, Oracle Database 10g Release 2 installer on HP-UX 11iV2 may give an error message similar to:

Checking for maxswapchunks=16384; found no entry. Failed <<

Since maxswapchunks is not a valid parameter for HP-UX 11iV2, this error message can be ignored.
SolutionYou can ignore the previous errors if you are not going to compile Pro*C/OCI/OCCI applications. You can also ignore the warning about maxswapchunks if you are installing on HP-UX 11iV2.
Jim Wallace
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Ian,

As it turns out the Pro*C/OCI/OCCI applications can be compiled using the GCC compiler instead of the HP C/aC++. The work around is as follows, after the GCC is installed of coarse.

Edit the "spnc_commands" file located in the $ORACLE_HOME/plsql directory.
Look for the lines corresponding to HP ANSI C compiler and comment them out.

"/opt/ansic/bin/cc %(src) +DD64 +o0 +libmerrno -z -Z -I${ORACLE_HOME}/plsql/include -I${ORACLE_HOME}/plsql/public -s -b -o %(so)"

Look for the lines which pertain to GCC and uncomment them.

"# /usr/local/bin/gcc -mlp64 %(src) -c -O0 -fPIC -I$(ORACLE_HOME)/plsql/include
-I$(ORACLE_HOME)/plsql/public -o %(obj)
# /usr/ccs/bin/ld -s -b %(obj) -o %(so)
#/sbin/rm -rf %(obj)"

Always remembering that you must use one compiler to compile
all your Oracle modules.

Which saves ├В┬г1300.

Jim,

Of course if you don't have ProC or OCCI code to compile you don't need a compiler or its pactches regardless of what the Oracle installer tells you (it also sometimes mentions patches for Serviceguard even though you might not be running in a cluster).

You should be aware that gcc is not really optimised yet for the IA64 processor. So whilst you can use gcc to compile your ProC code on an Integrity server running HPUX, don't expect comparable performance to what you get with the latest ANSI C/C++ compilers from HP.

I believe there are open source projects going on to address this, but right now thats the situation.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Ian: Here is the word for Oracle note 412450.1. ... The HP ANSI C and C++ (aCC) compilers are not required to run the Oracle database.

Is this info on the web? This question comes over and over, and we have to tell them to ignore them.
Jim Wallace
Frequent Advisor

Thank you all so much for your comments and assistance.