1748140 Members
3411 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Installing Oracle 8.1.7. fails: I got no X-Windows

Frank Bracke

Installing Oracle 8.1.7. fails: I got no X-Windows

Dear all,
I try to install ora 8.1.7 on hpux 11.11 , hardware is a rp5430 which is planned to be a simple db-machine and therefore has no X-Win equipment. Even worse is that we have no X-Win machine at all. Question: Is it possible to install ora 8 using simple vt220 telnet session?

Thanks
8 REPLIES 8
Alan Casey
Trusted Contributor

Re: Installing Oracle 8.1.7. fails: I got no X-Windows

It used to be possable on Oracle 7.x

Try issuing the command:

./orainst.sh /c

/c option if for character based.
Let us know if this works
Kurt Beyers.
Honored Contributor

Frank,

Starting from Orace8i, the installation of Oracle is only graphical.

Un unattended install can be made without X-windows, but no menu based setup as for Oracle 8.0.x is possible any more.

Kurt
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Some application vendors provide graphical interfaces along with the character mode, but Oracle has eliminated the terminal interface for managing Oracle after it is installed. You'll need to get an HP-UX workstation (used ones are very economical), an Xterminal (but setup is complicated) or get an Xwindow emulator from WRQ (Reflection/X) or Hummingbird (eXceed) or other emulator. Note that Xwindows over a modem is very slow.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Frank Bracke

Alan:
"./runInstaller /c" as you proposed produces the same bad result : "InternalError: Can't connect to X11 window server using 'vt220' as the value of the DISPLAY variable."
We said "export DISPLAY=vt220".

Thanks
Frank
Bill McNAMARA_1
Honored Contributor

As Bill Hassell points out, you can install an XWindows emulator on a PC and run the installer (and any other X windows app) there.

See one of my first cap replies on the subject!:

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0xc47cdfe5920fd5118fef0090279cd0f9,00.html

Later,
Bill
It works for me (tm)
Bruno Cunha
Frequent Advisor

Sorry, I'm not a Oracle expert but you can do a non-interactive silent installation and configuration using a response file, or not ???
Do it today, don't leave for tomorrow
Bill Thorsteinson
Honored Contributor

You could install VNC from the porting center. I believe you will need to install some of the XWindows libraries. You cant then run the client on any suitable system with a graphical interface. Windows has a native client, or you can use the Java based client in your favorite Web browser.
H.Merijn Brand (procura
Honored Contributor

WRQ (Reflection X) or Hummingbird (eXceed) both are (very) commercial products. /If/ you need to buy one anyway, go for WRQ. The oracle installation docs have several pages with warnings about eXceed.

I've just finished installing 8.1.7 on 11.00 today using WRQ (beta for RX-10). No problems.

Free products could work too. Cygwin is a must to install on your PC anyway (www.cygwin.com) and has X11 support available since about a month. I don't like the basic window manager, but that is just a question of taste. If you like a WM that comes closer to CDE, go for XFCE (use Google with Cygwin+xfce)

HTH
Enjoy, Have FUN! H.Merijn