Operating System - HP-UX
1748224 Members
4563 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Installing Oracle 8.1.7 from disk drives and having problems with second disk !!!

Henrique Silva_3
Regular Advisor

Installing Oracle 8.1.7 from disk drives and having problems with second disk !!!

When trying to install oracle 8.1.7 ( 32 bit ) onto a
A-Class server, 2 GB ram , 18 GB disk, 2 CPU, and using the /disk1 and /disk2 setup to install, I am getting a please insert CD number 2 to continue install, instead of this just finding it under /disk2 automatically.

So, my question here is. Is there something special you have to do to install from disk ? I have install a few servers some two or three months ago, from disk, and I do not remember of anything in particular I had to do. Simply copy the contents of the CD onto /disk1 and /disk2 and voiala !!!

In any case, I think that my disk2 tar file might be corrupted, so, I am downloading another one, just to make sure, but I have installed java 1.2, patches, etc,etc, and I am not getting any error messages.

Also, one thing I just noticed is that I do not have 400 MB on my /tmp directory. This is a new install and the OS people just use an ignite tape with these bogus sizes, but I am modifying that and rebooting the server, to have a /tmp of 1 GB for now, so that I can try to install oracle. I will worry about reinstalling the OS later.

Thanks,

Henrique Silva
"to be or not to be, what was the question ???? "
10 REPLIES 10
Glenn S. Davidson
Trusted Contributor

Re: Installing Oracle 8.1.7 from disk drives and having problems with second disk !!!

If you're doing a graphical install it should pop up a java applett window and you should be able to point it to the new "disk" directory to finish the install. Installing java 1.2 was a good move that might fix it for you.

Glenn
Conformity Destroys a mans initiative and independence. It supresses his powerful inner drive to do his own thing.
Henrique Silva_3
Regular Advisor

HI Glen.

What do you mean , IF YOU ARE DOING A GRAPHICAL INSTALL ? As far as I know, that is the ONLY way of doing it, via the Java app.

When the window pops up asking for the second cd, or disk 2, it saya, click ok after installing OR tell me where it is, BUT, it does not give me a chance to browse the right location. It simply allos me to click OK or to cancel that particular install.

Now, is there a command line install, besides the silent one of course ? I would love to NOT HAVE TO DEPEND on java being installed on a server to be able to install the oracle rdbms !!!

I am trying the install this morning again, with a new disk2 tarfile that I got from our media distributor. Hopefully, that will do the trick, since I was succesfull installing oracle on a different server using the right setup. I was just wondering if I had to set a variable up when install from /disk1 and /disk2. I do not thing so, since by starting the install from /disk1/runInstaller, you would think that oracle is smart enough to know. I do not remember the last time I install from the disk setup, if it asked for disk2 during the installation. It probably did !!!

Thanks,

Henrique Silva
Ruediger Noack
Valued Contributor

Hi,

try to solve your problem with a little trick.
In the time of prompt to insert the second cd rename your dirs:
mv /disk1 /disk1.ori
mv /disk2 /disk1
May be the last time you installed oracle 8.1.7 you used another installer.

Hope this helps

Ruediger
Kurt Beyers.
Honored Contributor

I've found the following at Metalink:

To avoid having to switch between CDs, copy the contents of each CD to the
hard drive and run the Installer from the new location. Copy the contents of
each CD in the directory structure as follows:

Disk1/

Disk2/

If the contents of each CD are copied into this structure on the hard drive,
Oracle Universal Installer automatically finds the contents of each CD and
does not prompt for the location of either CD during the course of
installation.

Did you name the directories disk1/disk2 or Disk1/Disk2 (lower or upper case).

Kurt
Henrique Silva_3
Regular Advisor

It just happened again with a different binary for disk2.

I must be missing some patches, but I get NO error messages at all, and the message is awful. Please insert disk to OR tell me where it is BUT it does not give you the ability to do it.

In any case, I changed the group ownership from oinstall to dba, just to humor me, and I will try trick on renaming the directories, BUT, like the metalink article says, you SHOULD NOT need to do that, since you are using that setup. In any case, the install was using exactly the same files used on another server ( oracle 8.1.7 32 bit version ) and I had installed it there with NO problems using /disk1 and /disk2 setup. I know I am missing some core OS patches here, but would not think the problem would be not being able to find disk2, but a problem when linking. Anyways, I will let you know soon if the trick worked, BUT, that is not the point, This should work as stated by the metalink article. If this does not work, I will go get every single patch I can find that relates to this install of oracle, install it, and see if that makes a difference !!!

thanks,

Henrique Silva
Henrique Silva_3
Regular Advisor

NO LUCK HERE.

The window come up saying
"Please insert Oracle 8i disk 2 into your disk drive OR specify an alternative location"

I tried to rename the links from /disk2 to /disk1 but that did not do the trick either. The same message comes up.

I must be missing a patch !!! Let me go looking for OBSCURE places to find which patches should be there and will let you know if it works when I am done.

I can not think of any kernel parameter or environemnt that I would have to setup so that I would not get this error.

WHAT A PAIN IN THE ASS IT IS TO INSTALL ORACLE. Sybase is MUCH SIMPLER !!!! :-(((

Cheers,

Henrique Silva
Kurt Beyers.
Honored Contributor

Why don't you just install it from CD if the install from disk is causing so much troubles?

Kurt
Wodisch
Honored Contributor

Hello Henrique,

actually there is a way of doing the installation in a batch oriented way: Oracle permits you to create and use some kind of "response file" on the installer...

And second, if you have to do that more than once with the same release of Oracle, why not simple packaging it with "swpackage" and then use "swinstall" for the installation? You won't even have to copy the files manually or mount disks or CD-ROMs, since "swinstall" can access its "depot" over the network!

Just my $0.02,
Wodisch (who is doing this since Oracle7.2
Ruediger Noack
Valued Contributor

Did you read Kurts posting and what he found in Metalink?
The dirnames are to named /Disk1 and /Disk2 ,
not /disk1 and /disk2.

Ruediger