1753659 Members
5747 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Installing Oracle Applications 11.5.8 in a 2 node Service Guard environment

Morris Makuch
Advisor

Installing Oracle Applications 11.5.8 in a 2 node Service Guard environment

Hello. I am trying to do a rapid install of Oracle Applications 11.5.8 in a MC Service Guard environment on 11.0. This is a 2 node cluster running in a Active/Standby mode, not OPS. We are having problems running the install using a virtual host name. I have added a virtual hostname/ip in my /etc/hosts file, but when I run the rapid install, it picks up the real host name of my server, not the virtual host name. Has anyone come across this? Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Christian Gebhardt
Honored Contributor

Re: Installing Oracle Applications 11.5.8 in a 2 node Service Guard environment

Hi

I didn't install Oracle Applications but I think it's the same problem as with SQL*NET, Oracle Intelligent Agent, Oracle Management Server (OMS), ...

All of this products don't care about Packagenames or Package-Ip they always uses the name and the IP of the node.

In SQL*NET you have to manually configure tnsnames.ora, listener.ora and if you have a firewall you have to think about the node IP.

In OIA you the most important file to manually edit snmp_rw.ora in $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin

In OMS the whole apache configuration files contained the nodename not the packagename, ...

For OMS we have a statement from oracle that OMS in standardconfiguration is definitly not able to run in a clustered environment.

So why should Oracle Applications know a cluster environment???

You should open a TAR in Metalink and ask about the configurationfiles you have to edit manually.

Chris
Lionel MAZE
Occasional Advisor

Hello Morris ,
I had same the concern at the time of the installations of the 11.5.3.
The workaround was to temporarily rename the machines with the virtual name of the package.
Once, the finished installations, I gave the good name to the machines.
Lionel.
lmaze
Claudio Aguiar
Occasional Advisor

Hello.

You first need install the application using the real name and IP Address of your host and then configure the virtual IP in the package.conf and package.cntl files. When you apply and run the new package in the cluster the virtual IP will be valid.
pesquisar sempre
Morris Makuch
Advisor

Found the solution in the Oracle Applications guide page 2-1.
Before Installation (optional)
If you want to use an alias and not the true name of your host machine, you can add
an additional parameter to the configuration file. Type the following on the
command line before you run Rapid Install:
UNIX:
$ rapidwiz -servername ..com

Make sure that you have your virtual hostname in the /etc/hosts file and this should work.