New Discussion юеВ

Installing Oracle9i on 11i

SOLVED
Go to solution
Zigor Buruaga
Esteemed Contributor

Installing Oracle9i on 11i

Hi experts,

I have a new rp5470 with 4 GB RAM, six 73GB disks and HP-UX 11i.
I want to mirror everything, so at the end I will have three 73GB disks "available".
I will define vg01 and vg02, each one with two physical disks.
I'm planning to install Oracle 9i ( my first time ), but looking at the installation procedure I'm not sure how can I distribute the required mount points. My questions:
- Can I install the Oracle software in the same disk as the OS? If not, could I use vg00 as "destination" of any of the required oracle mount points ( perhaps to store control files, or log files )?
- If I can't use vg00 for oracle, how can I arrange the required mount points into the other disks?
- Can I put the Oracle software and anyone of the other mount points in the same vg?

What about the swap space, currently I have 4GB, how many space do you recommend?
# swapinfo -tam
Mb Mb Mb PCT START/ Mb
TYPE AVAIL USED FREE USED LIMIT RESERVE PRI NAME
dev 4096 0 4096 0% 0 - 1 /dev/vg00/lvol2
reserve - 132 -132
memory 3157 95 3062 3%
total 7253 227 7026 3% - 0 -

Thnx in advance, any comment will be highly appreciated.
Kind regards,
Zigor
14 REPLIES 14
T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Installing Oracle9i on 11i

if you are too mirror all the six drives you are really wasting huge amount of space.

you can have smaller size drives for the rootvg i.e vg00 and then bigger drives for the applications.

Like two 18/36 GB disks for vg00 which can be mirrored and the remaining 73GB disks can be put on RAID 5 with Oracle on it.

But with the existing configuration what I will do is ,

Take two 73GB hard disks,put them into mirror with VG00 and sure create some mount points here and install all the required applications on to this vg00.create a seperate mount point under vg00 and put all the installation files there.

With the remaining four drives configure them to RAID 5,all put all the Oracle related database files into that.

Do not increase swap until there is a need for it.If the machine starts swapping increase the swap.

There might be greater answers.Wait!!
Sanjay Kumar Suri
Honored Contributor

I have following inputs to add:

1. I don't see any issue installing /oracle on vg00 or the same disk as that of OS.

2. I will not recommend any data/redo log/archive log files on the location device swap /dev/vg00/lvol2 i.e. vg00.

3. Use RAID5 if your database is going to grwo rapidly. If not RAID1 will provide you better throughput and additional data security.

4. Create mount point for redo log on vg01 and mirror redo logs on vg02.

5. If you are keeping mount point for master data on vg01 then keep mount points for indexes on vg02.

6. You can increase the swap space later on if there is swap on the system.

7. The application is OLTP, create sufficeint space for archive log mount point to avoid archive stuck kind of situation.

8. And all the best.

sks
A rigid mind is very sure, but often wrong. A flexible mind is generally unsure, but often right.
Fred Ruffet
Honored Contributor

Try to accomodate with those points :

. RAID 1 is recommended for Redo logs (sequential writes)
. RAID 1 would be good for Temp and Undo segments.
. RAID 5 would do for datas and indexes, but if you have RAID 1...
. Datas and Indexes should be on different axis (conccurent access). Redo should also be on different axis.

As long as this description implies 3 axis, a solution might be to have :
. first RAID 1 with system, Oracle software, logs (and archives ?). I would also put Temp and Undo on this one.
. second RAID1 with datas, system TBS
. third RAID 1 with indexes

For Swap, 4G should be good.
Take a look at /tmp requirements during install.
--

"Reality is just a point of view." (P. K. D.)
Zigor Buruaga
Esteemed Contributor

Hi again,

Thnx for your answers.
I don't like the disks configuration too, I would prefer more disks of 36GB, but well, that's what I have. About the oracle data mirroring ( and not RAID 5 ), I don't think that the db space will be a problem, and besides I've read that mirroring will give us a better throughput.
I'm still confused with one thing, do you recommend to put only the oracle software in vg00, or even anything more ( any tablespace or logs )?
Let me say again that this is my first time with Oracle ... ;-)

Thnx again for your help.
Kind regards,
Zigor
Nicolas Dumeige
Esteemed Contributor

Zigor,

1) You might a get little something with mirroring but the gains comes with spreading widly the i/o across disks: i.e stripping.

2) Study the FS option, filesystem type, Force Direct IO, ... Specially for the Redo Logs.

3) think the disk configuration with Oracle data access - i.e. would it be better to put data_1.dbf and data_2.dbf or system.dbf on the same FS - and security, the control files and redo logs are multiplexed, it wouldn't sens that they share one disk.

4) apart from the disk configuration, take time to pick the oracle parameters best suituin the database usage. For instance, 8k db block size maybe good for OLTP application but too small for a datawarehouse. Think about redo logs size...

... don't forget you have the right to make bad choice but (and the duty to correct them).

DBA and project manager should be working together for to get the picture on the volume prevision, number of clients expected per day, simultaniously, what kind of query will be issued ...

Good Luck

Cheers

Nicolas
All different, all Unix
Sanjay Kumar Suri
Honored Contributor

Apart from oracle software in vg00 you can think of putting archived redo logs on vg00 (provided you have sufficient space) on the lvol.

If there are any performance issues due to device swap on vg00, the location of archived redo logs can be changed with log_archive_dest oracle parameter.

sks
A rigid mind is very sure, but often wrong. A flexible mind is generally unsure, but often right.
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

Here are my preferences for RAID:

o no raid, raid 0 or raid 0+1 for online redo logs AND control files.
You should still let us multiplex them ourselves even if you mirror them. We have more opportunities for failure if the raid subsystem reports a "warning" back to us -- if we have multiplexed them -- we are OK with that.

o no raid or raid 0 for temporary datafiles (used with temporary tablespaces). no raid/raid 0 is sufficient. If you lose these, who cares? You want speed on these, not reliability. If a disk fails, drop and recreate temp elsewhere.

o no raid, raid 0 or raid 0+1 for archive. Again, let us multiplex if you use no raid or raid 0, let the OS do it (different from online redo log here) if you use 0+1.

o raid 0+1 for rollback. It get written to lots. It is important to have protected. We cannot multiplex them so let the OS do it. Use this for
datafiles you believe will be HEAVILY written. Bear in mind, we buffer writes to datafiles, they happen in the background so the poor write performance of raid 5 is usually OK except for the heavily written files (such as rollback).

o raid 5 (unless you can do raid 0+1 for all of course) for datafiles that experience what you determine to be "medium" or "moderate" write activity. Since this happens in the background typcially (not with direct path loads and such) -- raid 5 can typically be safely used with these. As these files represent the BULK of your database and the above represent the smaller part -- you achieve most of the cost saving without impacting performance too much.

Where: (raid 0 = stripes, raid 1 = mirrors, raid 5 = striping+parity)

Try to dedicate specific devices to
o online redo
o archive
o temp

they should not have to share their devices with others in a "perfect" world (even with eachother).

hope this helps too!

regards
Yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi again,

have a look to this doc from Cary Millsap too:
http://www.hotsos.com/dnloads/0.Millsap1996.08.21-VLDB.pdf

RAID Level
None 0 1 0+1 3 5
---- - - --- - -
Control file performance 2 1 2 1 5 3
Redo log file performance 4 1 5 1 2 3
system tablespace performance 2 1 2 1 5 3
Sort segment performance 4 1 5 1 2 3
Rollback segment performance 2 1 2 1 5 5
Indexed read-only data files 2 1 2 1 5 1
Sequential read-only data files 4 1 5 1 2 3
DBWR-intensive data files 1 1 2 1 5 5
Direct load-intensive data files 4 1 5 1 2 3
Data protection 4 5 1 1 2 2
Acquisition and operating costs 1 1 5 5 3 3

Estimated relative rankings for RAID configurations from 1 (best) to 5 (worst) for specific Oracle file types.

regards
Yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Fred Ruffet
Honored Contributor

Another thing :

mount file systems for db files with log, nodatainlog, largefiles, mincache=direct and convosync=direct options.

It will bypass OS caching (Oracle does its own).
--

"Reality is just a point of view." (P. K. D.)