Operating System - Linux
1753261 Members
5098 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Installing RH7.3 on HP6745C (problem)

Matthew Frye

Installing RH7.3 on HP6745C (problem)

I am trying to install RH7.3 on and HP Pavilion 6745C. Most of the time, the install gets to where anaconda starts, then the machine restarts, but every once in a while it gives me a crc error when trying to load the kernel. Once, it actually started the install and got all the way to the section where it actually installs the package, then restarted.
I also tried an install via FTP and it got to the same spot (Retrieiving packages...), then the machine restarted.
Someone please help me so I can get off the Windows train at Linuxville. email me: mattfrye AT mindspring DOT com

"There's nothing that can't be accomplished through the use of brute force."
6 REPLIES 6
I_M
Honored Contributor

Hi

It sound like something wrong with your hardware. Especially, memory?
If you have additional RAM for trouble shoot,
remove or relpace it then try one more time.

May the penguin be with you
Matthew Frye

Got two DIMMS, and I pulled one out, but it wouldn't install. Does it matter which DIMM? Both look fine in BIOS, and the one I left in was the original that came with the box.
Ted M Johnson_1
Frequent Advisor

Hmmm....this sounds familiar....

Is this the "retail" set of CD's or did you burn them yourself? In particular, if you did burn them yourself, did you use CD-RW's?

I've seen what appears to be random errors when trying to install Linux that has been burned onto a CD-RW disc - when using certain CD-ROM drives.

Matthew Frye

I burned them on CD-R's, but I can't get far enough into 'linux medicacheck' to see if that's the problem. The machine restarts right after the reference to /sbin/loader.
Paul Bush
Occasional Advisor

I think you're having problems reading the CD-Rs you are using. I've seen it before. Try temporarily hooking up the CD burner you used to make the CDs to the HP6745C, boot and retry the install. I'll bet you'll be problem free! Some cdrom drives (yes, even newer ones) just suck at reading CD-R media. You can bet the drive used to make the disks will be able to read them just fine.

Good Luck -paul
Matthew Frye

I am booting using the same burner with which I made the CD's.