1751921 Members
4775 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Installing RH8 on HP pavalion ze5185

Trushar
Occasional Contributor

Installing RH8 on HP pavalion ze5185

How to install RH 8 on HP pavalion ze5185. I tried but i guess the keyboard doesn't recognise at all and i can't move further. Need help. Thanks a lot.
Email trushar@trushmeghs.com
8 REPLIES 8
Kelli Ward
Trusted Contributor

Hi trushar,
I have never installed RH8, but have installed numerous other Linux's including Mandrake 8.1, Suse 7.0-8.1, RH 7.0-7.2, Debian 3.0, etc.
So maybe together we can beat on it until it cooperates.

To start,

Is this a new system and is the keyboard and mouse properly and securely installed?

Did you purchase the RH8 CD's or download them?

Your statement is a bit vague so what happens exactly from the time you start to the time it fails?

Please let me know,
Kel
The more I learn, the more I realize how much more I have to learn. Isn't it GREAT!
Kelli Ward
Trusted Contributor

Hi Trushar,
I'm in California and it's pushing my bedtime over here. ;)
I will check back "tomorrow" and see how you are doing.

G'nite,
Kel
The more I learn, the more I realize how much more I have to learn. Isn't it GREAT!
Trushar
Occasional Contributor

Hi Guys,

Nice to see people who are in same lines. Well I have successfully installed Mandrake 9 on ze5185. But for RH8 is a problem. I can get far as CD Media test and the keyboard freezes. I have downloaded the CDs and not purchased them. But Mandrake 9 works fine without any problems whatsoever.

Only one thing is not detected which is the usual suspect the modem. But now tonight I am going to find out the chip set of modem and install the drivers for the same as well.

Need anymore info let me know.

Regards
Trushar

trushar@trushmeghs.com
Kelli Ward
Trusted Contributor

Hi,
I do love Mandrake and Suse!

I have heard tell the with Red Hat, any dot zero version is pretty buggy.

If Mandrake 9 is happy and RedHat 8.0 is not, there might be a patch on the Red Hat size that addresses this as an issue.

Might be worth a look.

So... How is Mandrake 9, I haven't had a chance to try it yet?

Kel
Kelli Ward
Trusted Contributor

Oh Also,
It could be your downloads.
I downloaded the RH8 CD's myself and was unable to install them on 2 different systems for 2 different errors. (Can't remember what exactly those issues were)

I don't know if they ship to the UK, but Linux Central (www.linuxcentral.com) sells RH8 for $11.95 USD for the 6-cdset (3-install, 2-source, 1- Docs) or $6.95 for just the 3 cd install set (plus shipping and handling)

When left to my devices I usually get my linux CD's there to save the headache of downloading.

Might be something to think about.

Kel
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

RH7.3+ has a 'mediatest' target (at the boot prompt) of which will check the validity of your install media. Stick the CD in, boot, and it will be one of the options at the first text screens.

Unfortunately I cannot remember the exact wording off the top of my head, and couldn't find it on a quick search of RH's site.
One long-haired git at your service...
Trushar
Occasional Contributor

Hi Guys,

Mandrake 9 is fine but modem is a problem. I might be able to get it also working but it is not sure yet. Fonts and themes are a bit of a problem to get hold of I have just downloaded the themes so now will see what will happen.

Keep in touch. Oh ya RH 8 is not working with proper installation CDs from RH8. No idea why.

Regards
Trushar
Trushar
Occasional Contributor

Hi Guys,

I used the RH 8 media and installed it on another laptop without any problems. But still having problems with installing it on ze5185. No idea now why.

Mandrake is ok but i would prefer RH as it has a nice interface.

Trushar