Operating System - Linux
1753706 Members
4681 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Installing Red Hat Linux 8 on ML350 G5

Ruben D. Hiciano C.

Installing Red Hat Linux 8 on ML350 G5

Hi. I am new to Linux so, please, be patient with me.

I know HP says that Red Hat Linux 8 is not compatible with the ML350 G5 server but I still need to install this version.

Is there a way to do this?
Are there any compatible drivers that I can use for this version?

Thanks a lot.
7 REPLIES 7
Don Vanco - Linux Ninja
Regular Advisor

Hello Ruben

The issue is going to be drivers. You're talking about a 6 year old release. I am not saying it's impossible to make it work, but it will take major acts of heroism to get it working. You'll have to re-compile all the required drivers, and it's very likely that they will be written against specific libraries that ALSO will not be present and you will have to attempt to make functional.

If you're not a hardened hacker you're like SOL. And the fact that you've posed the question answers this point...

What could possibly be in RH8 that can't get in a more current (and supported) release???? Perhaps if you detail your need we can help further.

Don
Ruben D. Hiciano C.

I need to run Legacy Unix Applications and New Red Hat Distros do not include the iBCS library needed to run those apps (RH8 did include it).
Any suggestions on how I can accomplish this?
Maybe how to install this library?

Thanks.
Don Vanco - Linux Ninja
Regular Advisor

Well, I'm not directly familiar with that library, but IMO you face far less challenges getting IT to work on a supported OS rather than typing to get the dinosaur that is RH8 to run on a new server.

Have you tried Googling for info? Look for a user group/forum relating to the code??
Don Vanco - Linux Ninja
Regular Advisor

Not gonna happen:
http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node=iBCS
Quote:
"....the Linux kernel implementation of the iBCS standard has seen no new deveopment since 1998, and is incompatible with 2.4 and 2.6 kernels."

Your best bet (dare I say only bet) is likely a Virtual Machine.
Ruben D. Hiciano C.

Sorry to tell you, but you are wrong.
The project is alive and well and is updated frequently.

Can check it out at http://sourceforge.net/projects/linux-abi/

Thanks for your help anyway.
Don Vanco - Linux Ninja
Regular Advisor

Not to nit-pick, but I'm not wrong. You asked about iBCS - and it's dead as is iBCS2. There are TONS of ABIs for Linux to provide binary compatibility, including it's native emulation (which is what killed iBCS in the first place) - my mistake was apparently in attempting to help you with what you specifically ASKED for....

Glad you found what you need. Do let us know if you get it running on a supported OS.
Don Vanco - Linux Ninja
Regular Advisor

Not to nit-pick, but I'm not wrong. You asked about iBCS - and it's dead as is iBCS2. There are TONS of ABIs for Linux to provide binary compatibility, including it's native emulation (which is what killed iBCS in the first place) - my mistake was apparently in attempting to help you with what you specifically ASKED for....

Glad you found what you need. Do let us know if you get it running on a supported OS as it looks rather kernel limited.....