1752636 Members
6031 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Installing Red Hat on a Pavilion Notebook N3110

Jack Schillaci
Occasional Contributor

Installing Red Hat on a Pavilion Notebook N3110

I have an N3110 that I've souped up quite a bit and would like to use to dual boot Linux and Windows 98.

My problem is this: I can't create a partition on which to install Linux. I have more than enough hard disk space (around 11 Gigs free right now). I tried using Partition Magic and when it starts, it tells me that it can't find a drive letter for a partition and then immediately quits. (I think it's referring to my hibernate partition.)

I would just repartition and reformat my HD, but when I use the Recovery Disk to reinstall Win98, it just overwrites any partitions I had previously made and replaces them with one huge partition and a small hibernate partition.

Can anyone give me any help? Does anyone know of any software that would allow me to change the size of my partitions successfully? (I've found a few freewares on the web, but I don't understand how to use them.)

Please help if you can.
Huh?
3 REPLIES 3
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

Re: Installing Red Hat on a Pavilion Notebook N3110

I have a Pavilion N5450 notebook that had Microslop ME on it. I stripped it completely and reloaded with W2K and no hibernate partition. PartitionMagic worked fine and quick. A 20GB disk was done in about 5-10 min.
JD_5
Frequent Advisor

Sorry, I don't know about redhat but I installed SuSe on my omnibook and the Yast2 program that came with it had an option to
partition the disk. You might try
downloading that and Install SuSe
to partition your drives then once
all done just scrap it and install
Red Hat.

You might also try fdisk.

Cheers...
Jack Schillaci
Occasional Contributor

Thanks all for the help. I actually managed to get it installed a night later by using FIPS, which allows safe repartitioning (it comes with Red Hat). Thanks for all your help, tho.
Huh?