7640 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Installing Redhat or mandrake on Presario 2500

GLDavid
Occasional Advisor

Installing Redhat or mandrake on Presario 2500

Hi !

I have a Presario 2528EA and I would like to install Redhat 9.0 or Mandrake Linux 9.1. Unfortunately, I have a problem for this project.
1) For Mandrake, even I put linux nofirewire, it freezes when it installs the firewire driver.
2) For Redhat, I've put the command linux nofirewire. There's no problem to install it, but, when it boots for Linux, the boot sequence is stopped by the detection of the firewire. In a previous post, it was mentionned to erase the IEEE1394 line in modules.conf. But, how can you make this ?

Would you mind help me ? Could you answer to these questions ?
Thank you very much for your answers.

Have a nice day.
5 REPLIES 5
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

Re: Installing Redhat or mandrake on Presario 2500

For RedHat, you should be able to boot into Single or Emergency mode ('e'dit the boot line at the grumb menu, and add the word 'emergency' or 's' to the end), then modify /etc/modules.conf directly.

As for Mandrake, can't help you with that, I've never used that dist.
One long-haired git at your service...
GLDavid
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for your post.

But, it's not over. The new problem is tat I boot just like you explain. I'm logging under "root" and I launch vi to edit modules.conf. The problem is that I can't save any modifications I've done ! Even if I put chmod +w modules.conf !
Have you got any solutions for this problem ?

Thanks a lot for your help.
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

Humm, I haven't done it for a while so I wasn't sure..

It's entirely possible that because you're botting into an emergency maintenance mode, the filesystem is still read-only.

Try issuing:

/bin/mount -oremount,rw -L/ /

This should remount your root filesystem in read-write mode. You should then be able to modify /etc/modules.conf freely.
One long-haired git at your service...
GLDavid
Occasional Advisor

Hi !
Nice ! It works and I finished my RH installation. RH 9 works very well except the video card which runs only on vesa mode (no 3D for me :-(
But, the essential is here thank to you :-)

Bye !
fred_73

I have a Presario 2545US and I ran Red Hat 9 on it for a litle while. I had to use
Linux nofirewire at the startup of the installation cd in order to install it.

I am now running Mandrake an it also froze during installation so I had to use
linux noauto

the nofirewire command was useless with Mankdrake. After using both distros I like Mandrake more. I just seems to make more sense to me. Red Hat give you xmms with no mp3 support. Its just little things like that wich seem silly. Well anyways good luck!