1748198 Members
2721 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Installing UNIX on PC

Gerard Leclercq
Trusted Contributor

You can test UNIX (LINUX) on a PC without any modification of your hard disk on which there is XP by using DEMOLINUX or KNOOPIX on a cdrom.
The PC is booted on the cdrom and work only with the cdrom without modifying the hard disk.
Yet it is slower because of the slow acces to the cdrom.
But it is worth to try it.

www.demolinux.org
Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor

For $99

you can purchase a license + media kit for solaris 9

http://store.sun.com/catalog/doc/BrowsePage.jhtml?PartGID=1ZZZZZU3YWWXF1UMQVZBF5K1TXZZZWCH

Robert-Jan
Shay Zukerman
Occasional Advisor

Hi

Another secret/less known/less favorite option is the BSD Unix family: FreeBsd/NetBsd. you don't have to go far, simply start at: www.freebsd.org.

By the way, it took Microsoft very long time to switch from FreeBsd to Windows NT when then had took over HotMail, so you can realize how good system it is !

Have fun.

Shay
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

Ok..... what's up with all of the UX Pharaoh's suddenly lurking in the MS forums.

Give us little guys a break.... :-)

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
John Collier
Esteemed Contributor

Jon,

Since when did you become a 'little guy'?

At least you have something to cover your head with (and a rather respectable hat at that, I would say).

Some of us don't even have that much!

Little people indeed.....

{just the $.02 of one of the resident dwarfs}
"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." Stephen Krebbet, 1793-1855