New Discussion юеВ

Re: Instrumenting error on using purify

SOLVED
Go to solution
Amit Mehra_1
Occasional Advisor

Instrumenting error on using purify

Hi,
I am facing problem with purify, when it instruments with libc.1. I am attaching the error file. It is giving error while linking with libc.1 file in /usr/lib .
Is there any way I can replace this file. I tried replacing this file but it always gives text file busy error.
Can anyone tell me how to replace this file and what is this file used for?
I am using HPUX 10.20 and C++ compiler along with make.
Hope is a good thing, Maybe not the best of all things but all good things never die
5 REPLIES 5
Alan Casey
Trusted Contributor
Solution

You should not remove this file.
This is part of HP ANSI C
You should look for patches that will update it for you.

Alan Casey
Trusted Contributor

The following patch may help:
Patch Name: PHCO_23684

Patch Description: s700_800 10.20 libc cumulative patch

You can check what version of libc.1 you have installed with the following command:

What /usr/lib/libc.1

/usr/lib/libc.1:
PATCH-PHCO_23684 for 10.20; for 10.30, 11.x compatib
ility libc.1_ID@@/main/r10dav/libc_dav/libc_
dav_cpe//1
/ux/core/libs/libc/shared_pa1/libc.1_ID
May 2 2001 14:37:28
Steven Gillard_2
Honored Contributor

You don't want to replace libc.1 or your system will become unusable! What purify is doing is creating an instrumented version of libc under /tmp/purifycache and filling up the file system as can be seen by the error:

Purify engine: Error: Wrote only 4356 bytes, out of 9048, into file /tmp/purifycache/usr/lib/libc.1_pure_p3_c0_410_B1020_1855488.hpnmu.4573.tmp.
File system may be full.
System error code: No space left on device

Either increase /tmp or change the directory where purify creates its instrumented libraries. On our dev system we have a special cache directory for this.

Regards,
Steve
Amit Mehra_1
Occasional Advisor

Thanks to Alan,
On installing the patch PHCO_23864, purify was able to instrument the file successfully. But Now I have another problem my application is crashing on linking with purify. If I don't link it with Purify it works fine. I have attached the purified output. It shows error in libc.1. I think there needs to be attached some different patch with this.
Any comments on this?
I am worried I don't spoil my build machine by installing these patches. How do I deinstall a patch?

Thanks for the support.

Amit
Hope is a good thing, Maybe not the best of all things but all good things never die
Amit Mehra_1
Occasional Advisor

Thanks to Alan,
On installing the patch PHCO_23864, purify was able to instrument the file successfully. But Now I have another problem my application is crashing on linking with purify. If I don't link it with Purify it works fine. I have attached the purified output. It shows error in libc.1. I think there needs to be attached some different patch with this.
Any comments on this?
I am worried I don't spoil my build machine by installing these patches. How do I deinstall a patch? If I remove Patch_NOSAVE file and then install the patch then will I be able to deinstall the installed patched

Thanks for the support.

Amit