1748150 Members
3608 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Intelligent Series Rack - Rear Rack Light

Joseph Meyers
Occasional Contributor

Intelligent Series Rack - Rear Rack Light

I recently purchased two new rack cabinets with rear rack lights, and I'm having some difficulty with the installation of the rear rack light.

The parts in question are

BW907A - HP 642 - 42U Rack Cabinet 1200mm

361589-B21 - Rear Rack Light

The installation instructions for the rack light are identical whether you look at the guide that came with either the light itself or the rack cabinet.  When you install the light in the indicated position, the rack doors no longer close properly.  This is odd because there's even a trigger switch that will turn the light off when you close the doors (like a fridge light goes out when you close the door).  That would be perfect, if the light itself didn't block the door from closing.  This is a design problem here that really makes the rear light useless.  The latch from the door and the light both attach to the same spot on the frame, so having the light installed means you cannot close the doors.

When I contacted HP Support, they sent me a document (which can not be found anywhere online) that admits to the problem.  Their answer left me surprised at best.  They said I should remove a couple of screws down the sides of the rack frame, and then install the light running lengthwise down the side (instead of overhead at the top).  I have two issues with this answer:

1)  We have PDUs installed down the sides of the rack, and the light now takes up the space that SHOULD go to the power distribution.  However, even if I conceded to not having power distribution to that area of the rack:

2)  There is now a lengthy fluorescent tube light running down the side of the rack at face height.  Every time I open the rear door to my rack, there is a bright light shining blindingly into my eyes.  It's not helpful, and it feels like I'm under inquisition.  All I need now is a good cop and a bad cop.

This design is flawed in the extreme.  I've called in to tech support, and I've also spoken directly with my account manager.  HP's final answer was that I "should call my reseller to see what they suggest."  I'm at a loss for what they expect the reseller to do.  Unless they are hoping the reseller can sell me a different brand of light that doesn't have the HP brand on it?

It's frustrating because I go out of my way to ensure that all of my gear is HP branded on the hope that all of their gear is designed to work with... well... all of their other gear!  In this case, I'm thinking I could've gone to the dollar store to find a $1 light that would work so much better.

The most frustrating part was trying to get this information to anyone on HP's design team that could understand that what they've designed is flawed, and it needs to be re-designed.  The answer could be as simple as making the light half the existing length so it's not longer than either one of the "half" doors.  Then, the light would not block the door from closing.  Unfortunately, no one at HP is willing to pass this information along to the design team.  Instead, they just bounce me from queue to queue or back to my reseller.