Operating System - HP-UX
1752753 Members
4672 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Intermittent keyboard failure on zx6000 with HP-UX 11.31 (9/2007)

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dan Holm
Occasional Contributor

Intermittent keyboard failure on zx6000 with HP-UX 11.31 (9/2007)

I have a zx6000 with a USB keyboard and mouse attached, but it's very difficult to use it from the system console because after a few minutes of use the keyboard stops responding. To make it even more fun, whichever key I happen to be pressing when the keyboard stops working gets "stuck", so I'll end up with a stream of spaces or C's flowing across the screen until I log in remotely and reboot the workstation.

This happens in both CDE and the standard command line login. Also, after the keyboard stops responding, the mouse continues to work.

It's not the keyboard itself, because I have OpenVMS installed on a second disk and the keyboard works fine there. It also works on a J5600 with HP-UX 11.11.

Any ideas?
4 REPLIES 4
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

>Any ideas?

Nothing other than zx6000 isn't supported for 11.31.
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

basically, as Dennis says, you are doing something completely unsupported, so there are many things that might be wrong here.

check out the Installing and Updating HP-UX 11.31 manual for a list of supported Servres (NOTE!! NO Workstations are supported)
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
Dan Holm
Occasional Contributor

Crazy. That was the last thing I was expecting; a machine this recent being unsupported by the latest version of HP-UX. But yes, I see now that all workstation support has been removed in the latest versions.

Going back and checking the release notes for 11.23, it looks like the May 2005 release is the last update that supports the zx6000. Of course, it doesn't look like I can get this version from HP, so I'll see if I can dig up a copy elsewhere and see whether that fixes the problem.

While not an ideal, try it with a serial console. Mine is working perfectly in that configuration with 11.31 Update 2. I knew going forward from 11.23 that the graphical console would not be supported, so I assumed that I would only be able to use it with a serial console. It's been working perfectly configured serially. Given that there's so little difference between the zx6000 and the rx2600, I doubted that there'd be any problems running 11i v3 on the zx6000 with a serial console.