1752570 Members
5223 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Invisible replacement disk

Peter Bosch
Advisor

Invisible replacement disk

In a blade 870c I had 4 disks: 2 x 74 GB, 15 KRPM HDD in bay1/2 and 2 x 146 GB, 10 KRPM in bay3/4. They were configured in two RAID-1 sets and subsequently into two volume groups, vg00 and vg01.
Volume group vg01 became too small so I bought replacement disks: 2 x 300 GB, 10 KRPM. I removed the existing volume group and deleted the corresponding RAID-1 set. After that I physically replaced the disks.
Since the new disks got new hardware paths I have used the "replace target" option of the sasmgr command to "move" the disks to the original device files. After that I removed the device files that were no longer applicable.
When I tried to build a new RAID-1 set on the new disk I got an error message (truth be told, I don't recall the exact message). First I thought I made a mistake in the command, but when I tried the same command on the original (146 GB) disks everything worked fine. Back to the new disks. After some try-and-error I noticed that one of the new disks (the one in bay 3) had disappeared from "sasmgr get_info" and reported "NO_HW" in ioscan. Replacing that disk with another disk (same characteristics: 300 GB 10 KRPM) did not resolve the problem.
When I swap the disks in bay 3 and bay 4 the problem remains the same: the disk in bay 3 does not work while the one in bay 4 does. Multiple rmsf / ioscan / insf commands didn't solve my problem.
Normally I would suspect a problem with bay 3. But in that case, why do the original 146 GB disks both work with no problems?
20 REPLIES 20
Deeos
Regular Advisor

hi,

Are you using same make and model of disks

#insf -eC disk

to recreate device file system on disk
Deepak
Peter Bosch
Advisor

Yes, both disks are the same make and model. And as said, I've tried multiple rmsf / ioscan / insf commands. But since ioscan doesn't even see the disk in bay 3, insf is basically useless at this point.
What I forgot to mention before: I did try a powerdown and cold reboot so the controller has been reset. It made no difference, however.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

I just did such a disk replacement and noticed that the disk only appears in any "sasmgr ... -q raid" or "... -q lun=all" etc. command if the device files are created.

The only command that always show installed disks is the "sasmgr ... -q phy=all".

Does it show the disks?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Deeos
Regular Advisor

in bay 1 74Gb Disk
In bay 2 74Gb disk

In bay 3 146Gb disk
In bay 4 146Gb disk

I think, scenerio like that

which disks are in vg01?

Have you checked inside connection of bay3?

Deepak
Peter Bosch
Advisor

@Torsten: it does not. For what I've seen so far, "sasmgr -q phy=all" only appears to show disks that have device files (but I might be mistaken).

@deeos: your thoughts are correct. vg01 was on the 146 GB disks (those in bay 3/4) which have been replaced by 300 GB disks. At the moment I don't have physical access to the server, but when I put back the 146 GB disks last time, everything worked just fine. So it seems to me the connector should be okay. However, as soon as I can I will doublecheck.
Peter Bosch
Advisor

@Thorsten... I made a mistake in my last reply. "sasmgr -q phy=all" *does* in fact show the disks (all four of them). Sorry about the inconvenience.
Deeos
Regular Advisor

hi,

can you check?

#sasmgr get_info -D /dev/ -q lun=all

#sasmgr get_info -D /dev/ -q raid

Deepak
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

If you see 4 disks "up" there, how about ioscan? Are the disks there? I'm not exactly sure about the relation between the other sasmgr commands and the device files, but maybe you need to remove and re-create the device files?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Deeos
Regular Advisor

Please post output !

#sasmgr get_info -D /dev/ -q lun=all

#sasmgr get_info -D /dev/ -q raid

what does output of

#ioscan -funC disk

Have you done?

#rmsf -H

#insf -eC disk

Regards