Operating System - HP-UX
1748169 Members
4126 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Is 11.0 to 11i upgrade a big deal? (do I feel lucky?)

doug mielke
Respected Contributor

Is 11.0 to 11i upgrade a big deal? (do I feel lucky?)

We are a 24x7, follow the sun environment, and getting maint. windows is difficult.

We're planning an Oracle database upgrade on one of our production servers, and I'm wondering if I would be safe upgrading HP/UX as well. ( all would be subject to the normal QA and test procedures)

Normally I'd not consider two system changes at once, but HP/UX seems solid enough that an ugrade could possibly be considered trivial.
(don't hurt me too bad on the use of the word 'trivial')

What do you folks think?
9 REPLIES 9
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

How big of a maintenance window do you have? I personally wouldn't consider trying to something like this in less than 1 day, unless you do the upgrade on a test box, create an Ignite/UX make_tape_recovery tape and then boot from that tape to upgrade. That could be done a matter of a few hours (3-4 maybe).

I have heard that the 11.0 to 11.11 upgrade does work pretty well, but you need to test it in your own environment.
Marco Santerre
Honored Contributor

Doug,

you are right 11i is fairly stable, even in its upgrade procedures. Though, personnally, I don't know that I'd do it in the same event as an Oracle upgrade. But again, this is a personal preference. Even though the OS upgrade is fairly solid, you are still talking about a couple of hours of work. I don't know that I'd do that in the same day as an Oracle Upgrade.
Cooperation is doing with a smile what you have to do anyhow.
Ken Hubnik_2
Honored Contributor

I would upgrade the OS first and later upgrade Oracle but I would not do both especially on a production box.
Stefan Farrelly
Honored Contributor

In my opinion the upgrade from 11.0 to 11i does not work well. We tried a few times on large servers and always had far too many problems, so now we only install clean to 11i then reload our apps.
Im from Palmerston North, New Zealand, but somehow ended up in London...
Steven E. Protter
Exalted Contributor

Yes, its a big deal.

In a classroom controlled environment with a step by step cookbook, it failed 35% of the time when I went to Atlanta.

I stayed after class and tried it on two machines and did the same steps on both, side by side, one failed, one finished.

A cold install followed by a migration plan is a much safer course of action.

SEP
Steven E Protter
Owner of ISN Corporation
http://isnamerica.com
http://hpuxconsulting.com
Sponsor: http://hpux.ws
Twitter: http://twitter.com/hpuxlinux
Founder http://newdatacloud.com
Tim Adamson_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I can understand your thinking but would not do both at the same time. You just end up in a fight over whether it is an OS problem or an Oracle problem if something goes wrong.

As for the OS upgrade, I would consider doing a fresh install rather than an upgrade. I'm sure you can easily restore the customised files you need.

In my opinion, the upgrade required more work than a fresh install and Ignite is a great backout if needed.

My 5 cents worth.

Tim
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift. That's why it's called the present.
generic_1
Respected Contributor

I would recommend you do the upgrades separately. Especially if your change window is small, and considering this sounds like a critical system. Be sure that you have a make_tape_recovery before you upgrade, and that the server has had a full backup since ignite is only intended as a tool to backup your OS. It would not hurt to check if there are any OS patches you will need for the Oracle upgrade or to fix issues the new OS may have with your version of Oracle. HPUX is a solid OS, but if you would run into complications having the two changes separate will make things easier to diagnose. Do you have any on doing an 11.0 to 11.i upgrade aside from the Oracle? Good luck with your upgrade.
doug mielke
Respected Contributor

Okay, I'm convinced this was a bad idea. 11i will wait a few more months.
Thanks for the input.

Doug
(An optimist is someone who falls off of a tall building, whose last words are 'So far, so good')
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

Well, i guess you have already made up you mind as per the expert recommendations above.

If only you could find a test server where you can try the upgrade operations, this can minimise your downtime considerably.

best regards
Yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)