Operating System - Linux
1748161 Members
3800 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Is LINUX really that sleek and efficient?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Caesar_3
Esteemed Contributor

Hello!

You get the 6GB because you install all the
packages that in the installation disks.
If you will install only what you need
you will reduce a lot of space.
If you install the minimal instalation of
RH9 it will be about 350MB

In the box of RH9 you have a lot of tools
that maybe you don't use them, a lot of
tools that to the same things.

Caesar
Steven E. Protter
Exalted Contributor

I'm doing an HP-UX 11.11 install on a D320 server right now, as I'm typing.

The install program was very happy to install everything in a 4 Gig disk, including 1 GB of swap. I expanded it, because this server is going to do some work for Merijn(I hope) but the install was very efficeint, Enterprise ready and ready to roll on a pretty old piece of hardware(you don't want to know about my hardware struggle!!!Ouch!).

As to Linux, if you want to do everything, then you need a lot of disk space. If however you define small specific purposes you can squeeze it into a very tiny space.

Lets say you want to dedicate the box to sendmail, and sendmail only. Don't install X Windows because you can do all you need with the command line. Install only those utilities you REALLY need and you can get it into a pretty small disk, even with a liberal filesystem for /home (mailboxes) and /var mail log.

Same thing if you decide, its only going to be a web server. You pare things down to what you really need.

Do you really need to do kernel development on a small specific purpose box? Maybe you just need the ability to recompile with a parameter or two changed.

Its better to do discreet installations of any Unix anyway. Any software on the machine, weather a deamon or command line program is a potential security risk. If its not there, the hacker can't use it.

SEP
Steven E Protter
Owner of ISN Corporation
http://isnamerica.com
http://hpuxconsulting.com
Sponsor: http://hpux.ws
Twitter: http://twitter.com/hpuxlinux
Founder http://newdatacloud.com
Balaji N
Honored Contributor

u made a valid point SEP.

run minimal services on a box as far as possible. and if it is going to be a production box, ensure that you split various services into different boxes. (say mail on one, web services on another, etc..)

helps you maintain the boxes easily and you dont run a risk of getting everything down at the same time.

-balaji

ps: SEP, installing 11.11 for Merijn. Just was on Merjin's site and saw a note that he needs a ssh access for offering his services of porting on 11.11. is it for that?
Its Always Important To Know, What People Think Of You. Then, Of Course, You Surprise Them By Giving More.
Jerome Henry
Honored Contributor

So it's true Balaji, you're working all night !

Both last posts remind me Steven's one on Bill first one : practice servers, and I would add : jus install the one you practice. Now Bill, you're lucky, there is RHN with Red Hat, giving you the opportunity to keep your system up to date, so, secure AFA OS is concerned : all troubles can come from how you install...

(but who would like to attack you ?... :]

J
You can lean only on what resists you...
Balaji N
Honored Contributor

hmm.. let me add..(though it might not make sense here).

RHN charges you if you have more than one system.

and i have seen a few people out here recommend apt-rpms. apt is the default package manager on Debian systems.

with aptrpm installed, and your sources configured properly,

you can just do an

apt-get install sendmail

and it will download the sendmail rpm from the sources and install it for you. and you dont need RHN at all.

when i get time, i am going to try this out.

-balaji

Its Always Important To Know, What People Think Of You. Then, Of Course, You Surprise Them By Giving More.
AlienRoadShow
Frequent Advisor

OK, couple of comments here, SCSI vs. EIDE/IDE disk controllers. SCSI supports multiple disks where applications other than the O/S can launch. This is the typical HP-UX 9 and 10 architecture as well as the 'pre disk array' architecture. But as you all know EIDE/IDE are restricted to one master and one slave and are the PC standard.

So much for PC firmware and what a great argument for an old 715 work station with SCSI ports sold standard.

OK, because I am a LINUX newbie, and because I want to sample everything I need the LINUX server config and I guess that's the 6 GB requirement on an EIDE/IDE controller.

(* Oh boy. Latency hell. *)

But thanks to those who pointed out LINUX and GNU applications are like Windows and Office applications combined.

I guess all of those GNU M$ office opposites are sold apart of the LINUX O/S but aren't necessarily a part of the O/S.

Thanks again.

(* PS - Is it pronounced LYNIX, like Lynn-X, or is it pronounced LIE-NEX, like 'LIE-NEX'? *)

(* PSS - Hey, it that a PUN? :-) *)
Yours, Mine and Yours
Bruce Copeland
Trusted Contributor

Bill:

FWIW, I just loaded RH8 on a coworker's notebook with gnome, Open Office, a few basic development tools for kernel building, and both MySQL and PostgreSQL. Required about 1.7 Gbytes. That's very good compared to the 3+ Gbytes required for the equivalent Microsoft stuff (it's a dual boot system). It is not great compared to what we had for OS a few years back.

As for the linux pronunciation, you can find almost any variation used. The correct pronunciation is LEEnux--derived from the Norwegian pronunciation for Linus.

Bruce
Balaji N
Honored Contributor

filched from LOST

####[ GNU/Linux One Stanza Tip (LOST) ]#######################

Sub : Pronouncing "LINUX" LOST #179

Well, it is something like "lih-nucks" .. You can hear it from
the horse's mouth (Linus himself) pronounce it at:
http://lost.sourceforge.net/linus_saying_linux.au

####[mallet (at) efn.org]#####################################

AlienRoadShow
Frequent Advisor

LOL
Yours, Mine and Yours
Balaji N
Honored Contributor

for what?
hearing Linux say Linux!

Njoy.
-balaji (leaving home. good night! Its already morning here)