blackwater
Regular Advisor

Is it a mallocNG related question?

Two backtraces is in the attached file.
10 REPLIES 10
blackwater
Regular Advisor

Re: Is it a mallocNG related question?

Forget to mention. Both processes generated a core file.

This is a message for the second backtrace:

Core was generated by `rating_server'.
Program terminated with signal 11, Segmentation fault.
SEGV_MAPERR - Address not mapped to object
blackwater
Regular Advisor

Seems like
export PTHREAD_DEFAULT_STACK_SIZE=1000000
fixed the problem.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

That's the first place I would start.
Also, do you have a thread stack overflow? You may need to allocate more stack space when using mallocNG.

It could be heap corruption where you have recursion when you shouldn't?
blackwater
Regular Advisor

Dennis,

Could you explain whether or not I have to change maxssiz_64bit?

I mean that I have set "export PTHREAD_DEFAULT_STACK_SIZE=1000000" and in this situation should I somehow change value of maxssiz_64bit? I don't actually understand if there is any link between these two variables (maxssiz_64bit & PTHREAD_DEFAULT_STACK_SIZE).

For example I have a process that is going to have around 100 threads. OK, I am going to set PTHREAD_DEFAULT_STACK_SIZE=1Mb. Then each thread will have around 500Kb of stack. Is it necessary to have maxssiz_64bit equal ot more than 500Kb * 100 which is 50 Mb?
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

>Could you explain whether or not I have to change maxssiz_64bit?

No. This only controls the main thread, not any you create.

>each thread will have around 500Kb of stack.

Actually .5 Mb user stack and .5 Mb RSE stack.

>Is it necessary to have maxssiz_64bit equal to more than 50 Mb?

No, no connection. (And maxssiz_64bit is probably already larger than that. :-)
blackwater
Regular Advisor

Dennis,

I have one more question after reading this http://h20338.www2.hp.com/enterprise/w1/en/os/hpux11i-v3-next-generation-memory-allocator.html.

So I have relinked the application and now it depends on mallocNG. We run the application from a shell script that looks like this:

#/bin/sh
export LD_PRELOAD=one-small-snmp-library.so
my_application

one-small-snmp-library.so doesn't use mallocNG. It uses malloc() from libc. As far as I understand LD_PRELOAD tells the OS to load one-small-snmp-library.so and all libraries that it uses before my application. As a result malloc() from libc has to be loaded. Still my application seems to use malloc() from mallocNG cause it consumes less memory.

I don't care how much memory one-small-snmp-library.so consumes since it is not a lot. But I would like to find out if my application will always use malloc() from mallocNG whatever libraries are preloaded with LD_PRELOAD? Or is it necessary to add export LD_PRELOAD=mallocng.so:memory one-small-snmp-library.so?

In other words is dependency on malloc() in my application will always bring malloc() from mallocNG?
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>one-small-snmp-library.so doesn't use mallocNG. It uses malloc() from libc.

Why do you say that? You have mallocNG.

>LD_PRELOAD tells the OS to load one-small-snmp-library.so and all libraries that it uses

Hmm. What does chatr(1) show for one-small-snmp-library.so? It better not be linked with libc.

>In other words is dependency on malloc() in my application will always bring malloc() from mallocNG?

It should, otherwise mallocNG isn't that useful a replacement for malloc. And you would get all sorts of aborts.

I suppose it depends on whether mallocNG uses interposition and dld to activate itself or some other trick.
blackwater
Regular Advisor

1. mallocNG requires more stack space. Seems like "export PTHREAD_DEFAULT_STACK_SIZE=1000000" is a proper answer to the first question. Or using pthread_attr_setstacksize() before starting a POSIX thread is even better.

2. It is not necessary to change maxssiz_64bit when I set "export PTHREAD_DEFAULT_STACK_SIZE=1000000".

blackwater
Regular Advisor

>>In other words is dependency on malloc() in my application will always bring malloc() from mallocNG?

>It should, otherwise mallocNG isn't that useful a replacement for malloc.

Seems like I found an explanation in HP documentation. http://www.docs.hp.com/en/14640/OnlineHelp/linkerdifferencesiapa.htm#dynamicpathsearchin, Section "Symbol Searching in Dependent Libraries".

In my example mallocNG is a shared library of the first level (since the application has been built with -lmallocng) and when malloc() is called the dynamic link loader must find it using breadth-first search in libmalloc and not in the libc (since neither my application nor small-snmp-library were built with -lc so libc is not a shared library of the first level).

By the way, Dennis. I think there is a small typo in the documentation on this page:

$ ld -b lib2.o -o lib2.s
$ ld -b lib3.o -o lib3.s
$ d -b lib1.o -L. -l3 -o lib1.s
^^^^^^^
$ cc main.o -Wl,-L. -l1 -l2 -o main

I think must be
$ ld -b lib2.o -o lib2.s
$ ld -b lib3.o -o lib3.s
$ ld -b lib1.o -L. -l3 -o lib1.s
$ cc main.o -Wl,-L. -l1 -l2 -o main