Operating System - HP-UX
1751894 Members
5230 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Is it possible to store and display the Trademark Symbol in Oracle/HP-UX? May need to change hosts.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jack C. Mahaffey
Super Advisor

Is it possible to store and display the Trademark Symbol in Oracle/HP-UX? May need to change hosts.

This likely will appear to be a repeat question. I'm not having much luck...

I need to be able to convert Oracle production databases on HP-UX that can support the insertion, maintenance and display of the Trademark???, Copyright ?? and Registered ?? symbols.

All clients are UNIX MOTIF clients, which are currently running xterm sessions. I also need to be able to using sqlplus on the UNIX host.

Is it even possible? Previous forum discussions referred to the WE8MSWIN1252 character set, which appears to be windows only. I have also seen references to using UTF-8.

We are currently running Oracle 7.3.x running on HP-UX 11.00 and are considering upgrading to Oracle 9x.

The problem appears to be a UNIX problem. Will I also need to upgrade to 11i?

We may need to move our databases off of HP to a Windows platform for this capability. This impacts 10-15 HP servers.

If it is possible on HP, could someone tell me specificially what needs done on the HP server to make it happen? e.g. Upgrade to 11i, Install Oracle9x, Create database with ??? characterset, set LANG to ?, set NLS_LANG to ?, set TERM to ?...

locale -a currently shows the following appropriate locales.

en_US.iso88591
en_US.roman8
C
POSIX
C.iso88591
C.utf8
univ.utf8

My response to my users up to this point has been that I don't think it can be done.

Thanks in advance...
Jack...
17 REPLIES 17
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Re: Is it possible to store and display the Trademark Symbol in Oracle/HP-UX? May need to change hosts.

Jack,

This is not an issue of unix, it's an issue for oracle or your application.

Unix allows you to read or write any character you wish, from Hex 00 to Hex FF.

Try this from a xterm session:

echo \\0251 \\0256

It's an application thing!

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Forgot this:

http://technet.oracle.com//products/oracle8/htdocs/xnls3twp.htm

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Jack C. Mahaffey
Super Advisor

Okay... What do I do to display the trademark, copyright and registered symbols?
Jack C. Mahaffey
Super Advisor

Wasn't clear on my reply.

What do I do to display the copyright, registered and trademark symbols at the UNIX shell prompt?

What can I echo to see these values?

Thanks...
Jack C. Mahaffey
Super Advisor

I exported LANG=en_US.iso88591, started xterm with a 88591 font and did the echo and both copyright and registered symbols printed.

I also need the trademark symbol. I got this far before. The trademark symbol is a show stopper.

Any ideas?
Wodisch
Honored Contributor

Hi Jack,

I guess you problem is more about the displaying of those characters/symbols...
Then you'll need to use a proper font for ALL your applications (=Xclients) and for your database. ISO8859-1 or -15 should be fine for your Oracle-DB (=western-1 or -15), so you just have to check for the fitting X-windows fonts. Use "xlsfonts" on the Xserver of your choice and "grep" for those you want, like here:
xlsfonts | grep -i "iso8859-15*$" | more
Omit everything including "-o-", "-i-", "-bold-" in its name!
Then use "xfd -fn XXX" to display the candidates (where "XXX" must be substituted with the complete fontname form the "xlsfonts", including the starting dash!).
Now that you have found your fonts, instruct your application to always use them by writing them into your user's "$HOME/.Xdefaults", like the Window Manager "dtwm" (the asterisks mean "don't care"):
Dtwm*userFont: -adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--10-*-75-75-m-*-iso8859-1
Dtterm*userBoldFont: -adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--10-*-75-75-m-*-iso8859-1
Dtwm*fontList: -adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--10-*-75-75-m-*-iso8859-1

After restarting your windows manager and your applications you should be able to see those characters.
But be careful - the POSIX shell will not permit you to enter those characters from your keyboard (you may use /usr/old/bin/sh for testing, and set "stty -istrip cs8"!).

HTH,
Wodisch

Jack C. Mahaffey
Super Advisor

I still can't locate the trademark symbol.

jack...
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Jack,

What does displaying the symbols at a shell prompt have to do with being able to store them in Oracle or display them from an application? I know I showed you quickly how to display the copyright and registered symbols from a shell prompt in an xterm window, but that doesn't prove much other than ANY character string can be stored and retrieved in unix.

The display depends upon the application display the symbols to the user. If the application has the ability to display the symbols then they get displayed.

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Wodisch
Honored Contributor

Hi again,

Jack, it seems all you need is an Characterset codetable!
Well, start "xfd -fn iso15_9x15" and search for all the symbols you want in the window that opens. Then left-mouse click on it and on the top part of theat window you'll see the codenumber in octal, in decimal, and in hexadecimal.

HTH,
Wodisch