Operating System - HP-UX
1752795 Members
6152 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Is it worth to upgrade Openmail 5.10 to Openmail 6.0 or later?

Ramesh Donti
Frequent Advisor

Is it worth to upgrade Openmail 5.10 to Openmail 6.0 or later?

Hi,
We have openmail 5.10 running across multiple servers - one server acting as mailhub & virtual license server.
We are planning to upgrade to Openmail 6.0.
Is it worth to upgrade to Openmail 6.0 or later?
Is it possible to upgrade one of the server to upgrade to Openmail 6.0 and still keep everything like dir sync, openmail communication, etc working fine.

Thanks in Advance,
Ramesh Donti
Always Keep Smiling
3 REPLIES 3
Dave Kelly_1
Respected Contributor

Re: Is it worth to upgrade Openmail 5.10 to Openmail 6.0 or later?

Yes it's worth upgrading to OpenMail 6.0.

GR7 will be released later this year and, six months after that, 5.10 will no longer be supported.
Douglas Cromby_1
Valued Contributor

Yes it is definatelly worth upgrading from B.05.10 to Openmail version B.06.00. As the previous respondant explained 5.10 will be unsupported quite soon.

The upgrade path should be straight forward. Your current configuration to things like dirsync and routes and the like will be retained.

You cannot currently upgrade beyond Openmail 6.0, but Openmail 7.0 is being developed.
unixdaddy
Trusted Contributor

I would agree with the previous replies (special hello to Douglas how has help me with openmail problems in the past). We are in the process of upgrading from 5.20 to 6.0. 5.20 had alot of improvements (especially in support of Outlook) over 5.10.

We have a similiar setup to you. We have upgraded our test slave (for want of a better term) servers and left the test license server as 5.20 and experienced no problems However it isn't I'll do when we upgrade production - I'll just do the lot.

This is because with version 6 you get things like delegate functionality and mailbox size limit controls. Users won't be happy if they can't share folders with all their colleagues (how can they tell which users are 6 or 5.10? they can't) and sys admin won't be happy if they can only control some of the users mailboxes.

The upgrade process takes 30mins and then installation of the Dec 00 Patch took another 30mins. so all in all with a few tweeks you can upgrade in about 1.5 hours (as long as you plan) and then implement the enhanced features. It may take you a bit longer as you are on version 5.10 - the key is planning.