1748225 Members
4634 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Issues with the M$ Update site.

John Collier
Esteemed Contributor

Issues with the M$ Update site.

I am wondering if anybody besides me has been having any issues with the M$ update site over the last two days (yesterday and today to be specific) or if this is something that others have experienced as well.

To put it in a nut-shell, each time I have tried to get anything from the site, it will go through and take an inventory of the machine, list the available updates, give me the options to download and install them, but the download and subsequent installation fails within seconds.

Can anybody offer any additional info on this?

All of my machines (both at work and at home) are protected from the current virus, but there are other updates I would like to install on the work PCs as soon as possible.

Thanks!
"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." Stephen Krebbet, 1793-1855
28 REPLIES 28
Paul Sperry
Honored Contributor

Re: Issues with the M$ Update site.

I have had the same problem.
I think the recent blaster virus
has every one scrambeling to get the patch.

I am going to wait a few days and try again
Jay Bollyn
Honored Contributor

John,

As long as you are absolutely sure that your PC is not infected. Your experience sounds very similiar to this quote:

The worm also attempts to perform a Denial of Service (DoS) on the Microsoft Windows Update Web server (www.windowsupdate.com). This is an attempt to prevent you from applying a patch on your computer against the DCOM RPC vulnerability.

Here is the full URL (the context of that quote:)

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.c.worm.html

I used the MS update site yesterday (Thursday) during CDT business hours. It was the usual slow experience, but it was eventually successful. I think there is no excuse for MS to have a slow website, with their huge resources, but that is another issue. (Unless they are trying to run MS software on their servers.)

:-) Jay

check Facebook
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Can you guys imagine how many milllllions (imagine Dr. Evil) of people out there either are infected already or don't wan't to be and have not applied the fix (which MS published a month ago). They're all banging on windowsupdate.com

MS has also published a tool to check all computers on a LAN/WAN for infection and/or presence of the fix.

There are generous people on the internet who are hosting the patches as an alternative to MS.

Good luck!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Marcial V
Advisor

why would answer this, if all guys did it well.. just put the patch!

http://geocities.com/meduardo/patch

bye
badito
Perignon
Honored Contributor

Hi John,

The only recurrent problem I have is with hooking at the MS Web page out of the WIN update Hot-Key. Not always, but often enough.

Now we are all vulnerable to kinds of worms auto-protecting themselves against MS replies. Question of time I guess. Note that many Web servers are also offering an alternative protection against such a vicious infection. You may consider hunting for and trying one of those.

Alain.
Frustrations surmounted are paving the way to expertise.
Norman_21
Honored Contributor

John Collier,

Long time budd, I have just tried the Windowsupdate site and downloaded and updated some stuff successfully. Do you still have the same problem?
Here is the patch for th Blaster Worm, I don't really know if you have it installed or not but I would stronglt recommend the following:
1. Norton Anti-Virus Version 8.0 or higher if availabel. Off course keep updating the Virus Definition file, every Thursday Symantec Site update their definition file, go here: http://www.sarc.com .
2. Download and install the Free ZoneAlarm Fire will from http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/freeDownload.jsp?lid=zadb_zadown
Then configure the firewall to block and allow whatever according to your needs.
3. I have attended the IT Security Shop, please read here: http://www.ip3seminars.com/index.php
It is $700 value but I got it as a schooler ship from COMPTIA for Free!!! It covers alot of concepts about securing your network from Viruses, Trojans and worst the Code Red which totally expose your Computer. They recommend the Pestpatrol as one of the best Security tools available, please read here: http://www.pestpatrol.com

Hope this help.
"Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching"/ My first point was given by SEP on January 31, 2003
Norman_21
Honored Contributor

John,

The attachment didn't seem to work but I have sent it to your email address.
Please keep us updated.
"Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching"/ My first point was given by SEP on January 31, 2003
John Collier
Esteemed Contributor

Paul,

I had the same thought. Just wondering if anybody else had the same issue. Glad to see I???m not alone???

Jay, Alain, & Latif,

I am quite certain that the machines that I am attempting to use to reach the M$ Update site are worm free. There were two of us that spent the best part of Thursday morning assuring that this was the case.

Maricial,

The link you provided advises me that the page is not available. I would guess that the bandwidth cap for a site on GeoCities was probably exceeded and they pulled the page. Thanks for the thought anyway.

All,

These are machines in a corporate environment that I have tried to update with various other components from the M$ site. They have all been protected from the existing Blaster worm and there is no problem there. The simple fact of the matter is that during the patch process for this worm I found that several of the PCs were far behind on the ???regular??? updates as well. All I would like to do is to get the caught up in the remaining aspects as well.

All of my personal machines are, and have been, up to date on their patches for quite some time. I guess you could say that I???m rather anal-retentive in that aspect in my personal environment.

I have since heard from others around the work place that they are having the same issues with the M$ Update site. Like Rodger, most of us have to admit that some of it has to do with the heavy load that was placed on the M$ infrastructure in the last few days due to an overall panic from the M$ computing community.

What none of us can figure out is why it is taking the fine folks at M$ soooooooo incredibly long to decide that this is a problem and get it fixed. As far as I???m concerned, there is no good excuse for this issue to still be an issue. It is something that they obviously have the resources to address and resolve in a timely manner. I, for one, son???t understand why they appear to be letting it run for so long.

With the popularity of Linux on the rise as it is these days, it would seem that they would be rather interested in keeping their existing customers as happy as possible. This just doesn???t seem like a good business decision on their part.

On the issue of points for this thread, I am still thinking about how I will handle them. Give me a little while to think on that. I do promise that I will not let this thread go unpointed???
"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." Stephen Krebbet, 1793-1855
Jay Bollyn
Honored Contributor

I don't think any of us are worried about the points. I believe we are all ~ 100% in assigning points.

:-) Jay

check Facebook